> Bill Brown wrote:

>> Philippe Wittenbergh wrote:
>>> No, it is completely true. The 'opacity' property applies to the
>>> whole
>>> box and its descendants.
>>>
>>> Using RGBA/HSLA colours is a completely different game. You don't
>>> use
>>> or affect the opacity of the box, only use a semi-transparent colour
>>> (value) for the background property.
>>
>> Right, ok, sorry. Must have mis-read the question.
>> Please disregard my previous reply.

No need to. The technique you illustrated is a nice one to get a semi-
transparent background on a block element.
I've used something similar before, except for the IE filter bits, as
I didn't know about it. See below.

Ingo wrote:

The gradient filter attempt with startcolor=endcolor doesn't seem to
> suffer from the unclikable links problem anymore. The container needs
> haslayout like with any filter, but that's all.
>
> A little late for IE6, but nevertheless an innovative approach.

Yeah, I noticed that too, when testing that in IE  6&7. At least in my
simple test cases, the links always seemed click-able/focus-able.

What I'd like to know, though: how does the use of that filter affect
performance (scrolling, screen refresh, resizing, etc) ? My test files
remained quite snappy, but as I said, those where simple test cases

Philippe
---
Philippe Wittenbergh
http://l-c-n.com/