At 04:00 PM 1/18/2009 +0100, Gunlaug Sørtun wrote:
>If "total validity" matters and you want to keep the proprietary styles,
>Conditionally Commented stylesheets for IE only stuff is an option.
>This approach doesn't make the styles valid, but for most "hidden" is
>good enough. Besides: the stuff will not show up in non-IE browsers when
>CCs are used, which I personally think is more important.

Hmm... I haven't got a clue what you're talking
about -- never heard of "conditionally commented"
style sheets before. I'll have to look into that and see what I can learn.

> > How on earth is that a "warning"? If I set a background color for my
> > links or whatever else, well, then there goes my background graphic
> > out the window.
>
>Background-color is layered behind background-image, so normally setting
>a background-color as fallback shouldn't be a problem.

Well, that's odd, because when I got that warning
I did just try giving the offending items (p, a,
etc.) a background color, but what happened was
that entire paragraphs lost the background
graphic behind them and had that color (only) instead. And that's no good.

In my style sheet, for "body" I have both a
background color and a background graphic, as
well as color (#5a584e) specified. And then for
"p" (for example) I have this...

p {
         font-size: 14px;
         color: #5a584e;
         margin-top: 11px;
         margin-bottom: 11px;
         line-height: 138%;
         background-color: transparent;
}

...and that's what gives me that warning, the
fact that I'm specifying a color (with that color
being, as you can see, the same color that's also
specified in the "body" styles), but not
specifying a specific background color.

This seems like such a simple, stupid and basic
thing -- my apologies for not knowing/understanding this.

Ron :/

Woof?... http://www.Psymon.com
Ach, du Leni!... http://www.Riefenstahl.org
Hmm... http://www.Imaginary-Friend.ca