At 04:53 PM 1/18/2009 +0100, Gunlaug Sørtun wrote:
>If we all fell back to layout tables and minimal use of CSS, there would
>be very little incentive for growth.
<snip>
>Layout tables will stay at 1998 level for a long time - probably for as
>long as HTML is in regular use. Thus, they're stable enough by now and
>those who wish can still use them. No progress in doing so though.

Oh, I totally agree -- and that's basically what
I was saying in my last/previous post in this
thread. I absolutely, wholeheartedly do encourage
anyone/everyone who does use purely CSS layouts,
but... well, take my "A Letter to an Imaginary
Friend" site, which is a literary piece of mine.
At *this* point, I just wouldn't trust myself,
nor CSS standards, to transform it into a CSS
layout, simply because I just don't see any
guarantee that it would then last "forever"
(which, only naturally, is important to me). On
the other hand, if I keep the table layout, then
at least I have some semblance of assurance that
it will last a long, long time.

But perhaps I digress, and perhaps am becoming
repetitive -- and having just been admonished
off-list for being "totally off-topic" (along
with various other admonishments), my apologies
if this has, indeed, been the case.

I am truly grateful for this thread, though.
Believe it or not, but it really did help allay
some confusion for me. I think I'll keep my table
layouts for the time being, if only because I do
know that they *work*, and I also just don't feel
that I know enough about CSS (yet) to do anything
otherwise. I suppose my only wish would be that
others see that there's nothing wrong in my
choosing to do that (for myself), if that's what
works for me -- I mean, it's not like my doing so
puts a rope around the rest of you, holding you all back.

Ron ;)

Woof?... http://www.Psymon.com
Ach, du Leni!... http://www.Riefenstahl.org
Hmm... http://www.Imaginary-Friend.ca