At 08:09 PM 1/18/2009 -0500, Bill Brown wrote:
>2.5em is the size of the font in relation to the parent element. In
>your example, the first letter of every paragraph on the page would
>be 2.5 times the height of the font of the paragraph.
>80% is the line-height, which does not require a unit, so I usually
>write it in decimal form (.8 in this case).
>
>>b) if there's a specific reason for the padding: 0.2ex 0 0 0.2ex;
>>i.e. is there some reason why those couldn't just be all set to 0,
>>or, alternatively, why I couldn't indent the first letter (and, in
>>effect, the first line) a certain number of *px* (not ex)?
>
>Try it:
>http://www.w3schools.com/css/tryit.asp?filename=trycss_font

Oh, I realize that it *works* and that one can change the various
values (I've already tried it) but since that specific bunch of
styling was recommended, I just don't know what the reasons for that
recommendation were -- like, if I change it from what's recommended
at that page...

http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=DropCaps

...will it break in some browser or other? For one thing, for
example, I'm not sure why extra padding is needed (or suggested) on
two sides of the drop cap.

Ron :?