Thanks for the replies I did the following using conditional comments for IE6
directly in the css:
#insidecentre {
<!--[if lt IE 7]>
height: 592px;
<![endif]-->
min-height: 592px; display: block; border: 1px solid #ccc; width: 297px;
float:left;}

it doesn't seem to alter the height in FF and IE8. Where am I going wrong?
Cheers