> Sandy wrote:
> [...]
>
>> http://www.uoguelph.ca/mcb/test/contact.shtml
>> and there are a couple of divs with a transparent background
>>
>> .headerleft
>> #globalnav
>> the "search" should be transparent, too.
>>
>> instead that whole area is showing up with a white background in AOL
>> 9.1, ie6 and ie7. ie8 is ok.
>>
>> the styles are here
>> http://www.uoguelph.ca/mcb/test/css/mcb2009.css
>>

> That comes from this rule @ line 271 -
>
> .container {
> background-color : #fff;
> padding : 0;
> width : 860px;
> }
>
> Other browsers respect the 'background-color:inherit;' @ line 109 as the
> selector is more specific. IE 5 - 7 do not apply 'inherit'.

David - thanks so much for taking the time to help me sort this out.

Now - your advice did get that white background out of the top of the
page, but it made the white background in the content area disappear, too.

This is really mysterious to me - the .container div starts below the
navigation, and was somehow covering the navigation ... take a look
here, where I have made it yellow with a red outline
http://www.uoguelph.ca/mcb/test/test.shtml

I tried giving the container its white background back and a margin-top
of 300px, and then the whole top nav moved down that much, as if the
container started at the top of the page, instead of after the navigation.

I am flummoxed. I really appreciate your help!

Sandy