Sandy wrote re:  http://www.uoguelph.ca/mcb/test/contact.shtml
>>> instead that whole area is showing up with a white background in
>>> AOL 9.1, ie6 and ie7. ie8 is ok.
>>>
>>> the styles are here
>>> http://www.uoguelph.ca/mcb/test/css/mcb2009.css

[...]
> Now - your advice did get that white background out of the top of the
>  page, but it made the white background in the content area
> disappear, too.
>
> This is really mysterious to me - the .container div starts below the
>  navigation, and was somehow covering the navigation ... take a look
> here, where I have made it yellow with a red outline
> http://www.uoguelph.ca/mcb/test/test.shtml
>
> I tried giving the container its white background back and a
> margin-top of 300px, and then the whole top nav moved down that much,
>  as if the container started at the top of the page, instead of after
>  the navigation.

Sorry about the delayed reply, Sandy. It looks like you have solved the
stated problem, and the test.shtml page seems to have vanished.

One problem remains, as far as I can see - that's the white border on
the #globalnav. I think that is due to the border: transparent ... on
the 'a' selector. IE 6 does not understand this. I suggest using the
color code instead.

Cordially,
David