Mozilla's reference seems to indicate that block elements may not be
contained in a p element. A simple test in firefox shows that I can
embed an img with display: block set in a p. Is this a bug or correct
behavior?

The html 5 spec for p seems to use different terminology and doesn't
refer to inline or block elements.
http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/semantics.html#the-p-element refers to
flow-content...

This may seem like an overly basic question... I'm normally more of a
systems programing guy, but I've decided to get up to speed on
html/css/etc and am working through Meyer's book on css.

My question pertains to html, but not necessarily xhtml, if that makes
any difference.

Brendan