I had read in several articles that using display:inline-block is a
way to vertically align block elements, but this doesn't seem to be
working for me (at least in Chrome):

Hello
world

Why doesn't this bottom-align the inner divs? I'm aware of
display:table and of various hacks to get vertical alignment, but I'm
mainly curious about this particular technique. Thanks in advance.
--
Yang Zhang
http://www.mit.edu/~y_z/