> It's incredible really that something so common as this cannot be simplified
> or standardized in some way.

Forms are impossible to get identical, because each browser/operating system
combination has it's own way of rendering form elements.  This is because most
browsers leave the form elements up to the operating system for consistency
with the rest of the OS.

And vertical centering outside of tables is nearly impossible since the
browser doesn't know how tall an element is until it's done loading it.  And
pages start displaying before they're done loading completely.

There are other ways to do it (absolute positioning and negative margins or
display: table come to mind), but the table way I gave you is the easiest and
most cross-browser compatible.

> P.S. Does anyone know why IE7 insists on adding extra horizontal padding to
> the sides of a block element such as an <input type="submit"> or an <a>
> tag styled to look like a button?

Those aren't block elements.  They are inline elements.  So my bet would be
that it isn't horizontal padding, but spaces (like the actual character).  Not
having line-breaks between your elements will help with that.

---Tim