>This will approximately position the image; however, it is not a solution.

Thank you - I'll try that substitution -

>A "real" solution would mean re-examining your layout. There is a
>pixel width set on the body, and the wrappers are set in em
>widths.  There is a pixel width set on the body, and the wrappers
>are set in em widths.

- but I am happy to re-examine the layout.

I have wondered about mixing up ems and pixels - before css, one
didn't mix up pixels and percentages when laying out a page - but I
have seen other web sites where ems and pixels are used together for
layout.  Should one stick to one or the other?  On this site, I have
set the body width in pixels because as the page content will mostly
be very short on every page but I guess I should set the other
element widths in pixels too, for the reasons you give.

Rachel