>I would set everything (except possibly image sizes) in percentages.

I must say, I would rather do this.  But a page width that looks just
as I want it to look at 90 per cent wide on 1024 might not look nice
at 1152.  For instance, if this web page was stretched wider, then
the righthand edge of the background image in the body would probably
become visible, "detached" from the middle (text) part of the page,
and the righthand edge of that image is not designed to be visible.

Rachel