Philippe Wittenbergh wrote:

One nitpick: I'd use 'em' instead of 'ex'.

Some browsers have poor support for 'ex' (treating 1ex= 0.5em, whatever the
font in use, no questions asked)  - IE running on XP, Opera.
Some browsers have half broken support - with very different computation of
what it should do/be  (WebKit on every OS).
Some browser have reasonable (IE8 on Vista&  Win 7) or fairly good (Gecko 1.9+,
all platforms)  support for ex.

This leads to completely unpredictable results.

Yes, I agree that there are good pragmatic reasons for using "em",
but strictly speaking, "em" is a horizontal measure whilst "ex"
is a vertical one, so I prefer to use "ex" in vertical contexts
for that reason.

Philip Taylor