On 11/6/2010 2:51 PM, Gabriele Romanato wrote:
Hi all.
Since the overwhelming majority of my clients own websites hosted on
shared hosts, I was wondering if there's a straight way to compress CSS
without taking into account the oddities of the default configuration of
the web server , which varies greatly from hoster to hoster.
Almost a year ago I switched to YUI Compressor for minification and it
really works. Now I want to use compression on shared hosts, but I'm
afraid of getting thorugh all the tests with the .htaccess file that, by
the way, it's limited in some ways on a shared host. And yes, there's no
way to access the infamous httpd.conf file on such hosts ! >.< Did you
find a solution to this problem? A couple of months ago I stumbled on a
PHP script that performs minifcation using the ob_ function group and
includes. Nice, but what about compression? I know that I could activate
the gzlib compression via PHP, but I don't know if this will succeed on
a shared host. Hope you have some answer, as always.

I don't have a suggestion, but I have an opinion...

I think minification is unimportant unless you have a horrendously complex and verbose CSS file such as, for example, Yahoo developers tend to write :-)

Perhaps if CSS authoring was where it has evolved now, back in the age of dominant dial-up connections, it would be somewhat useful.

--
Al Sparber - PVII
http://www.projectseven.com