One thing I tried here was to make a new p class:

.dotted {
        border-top: 1px dotted #000;
        padding: 8px 0 0 0;
}

that top padding value of 8px gets the line where I want it vertically...

the <p> portion I don't want to have with the dotted line, I just closed that p tag after that part, and the description I want to have the dotted line I handled like this:

descriptive blurb paragraph...

^^^ Is this a legitimate way of handling it...good coding?

John