On May 10, 2011, at 6:51 PM, Joergen W. Lang wrote:

> I am currently playing with the 'font' shorthand property. According to the
> spec (1) the values for 'font-size' and 'font-family' must be specified at
> all times.

Correct.
E { font: 1em/1.5 'my font' sans-serf;}
is the minimal syntax.

> Meanwhile, 'font' also serves as the only way to set a system font as a value
> for 'font-family'.
>
> Furthermore the spec states: "System fonts may only be set as a whole; that
> is, the font family, size, weight, style, etc. are all set at the same time.
> These values may then be altered individually if desired."
>
> That sounds to me like
>
>  button { font: 1em menu; }
>
> should be the correct minimal form. Instead it must be written as:
>
>  button { font: menu; }
>
> which then can be altered via single properties. This seems to violate the
> "last two values are mandatory" rule.

No, read carefully
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/fonts.html#propdef-font
http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-fonts/#font-prop

Under Values, the system fonts are specified outside of the [ ].
and then
[quote]
System fonts may only be set as a whole; that is, the font family, size,
weight, style, etc. are all set at the same time. These values may then be
altered individually if desired
[/quote]

The second sentence specifies that you need to use the individual properties
separately to modify style/weight/...

Philippe
--
Philippe Wittenbergh