Am 12.05.11 03:07, schrieb Philippe Wittenbergh:

On May 10, 2011, at 6:51 PM, Joergen W. Lang wrote:

According to the spec (1) the values for 'font-size' and
'font-family' must be specified at all times.

Correct. E { font: 1em/1.5 'my font' sans-serf;} is the minimal
syntax.

I guess, the value for line-height could also be omitted. There should be a comma between 'my font' and 'sans-serif', d'accord?:

E { font: 1em 'my font', sans-serf;}

[...]

button { font: menu; }

which then can be altered via single properties. This seems to
violate the "last two values are mandatory" rule.

No, read carefully
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/fonts.html#propdef-font
http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-fonts/#font-prop

Under Values, the system fonts are specified outside of the [ ].

Oh, good old regular expressions. That's where I failed.

and
then [quote] System fonts may only be set as a whole; that is, the
font family, size, weight, style, etc. are all set at the same time.
These values may then be altered individually if desired [/quote]

The second sentence specifies that you need to use the individual
properties separately to modify style/weight/...

Agreed. It was the first sentence that had me confused. Specifically "as a whole" which could easily be interpreted as "values for single properties must be given in one declaration". Same for "are all set at the same time".

A more concise wording might be:

"System fonts may only be set using the shorthand form. In this case one of the above keywords ('caption', 'icon', 'menu', 'message-box', 'small-caption', or 'status-bar') replaces the minimal two-argument form. The font family, size, weight, style, etc. are all set implicitly.

These values may then be altered individually using single properties if desired."

For the moment I do not see a lot of use cases for system fonts. But this may change with more web applications emulating the behaviour of native apps. Would this be an issue for www-style?

Jørgen W. Lang