thanks for your answer, George!

I know absolute positioning is maybe not best practise but often i'm
also running into problems when using floating for doing
several-columns layouts. And so i do now as well:

I reangearred my site http://www.goeldi.eu/abusart without absolute
positioning, and I have the same problem with my background-image:
it's cut off on the right side when the browser window is too small
and I scroll to the right. I do not understand why this happens.

So still something wrong?

At least the image is shown at its full extension in vertical direction...

Cheers
-Peter