> While I appreciate your time, I was not looking to change the way the
> page reacts to the viewport, just whether or not there is a better way
> to do what I was already doing and if it is possible to have IE7 and 8
> react the same way as capable browsers.

I think Lasko got it dead right.  You can also try to investigate the
possibility of creating two divs of 50% each like this:

The DIVS left and Right would be left floated to make them display side by side
and the width of each is 50%.  The rough and dirty CSS looks like this:

#wrapper {
                width: 900px;
                height: 90%;
                margin: 0 auto;
                text-align: left;
                height: 100%;
}
#left {
                width: 46%;
                margin: 2%;
                float: left;
}
#right {
                width: 50%;
                float: left;
                margin: 2% 0;
                background-image: url('http://www.mlinc.com/tl-test/Bokeh.jpg');
}
#footer {
                clear: left;
                width: 900px;
                height: 5%;
                margin: 0 auto;
                text-align: center;
}

The CSS and layout can be improved dramatically but I leave it to you to think
about this.  Lasko's method is pretty neat.