Am 12.12.11 15:42, schrieb Jukka K. Korpela:
2011-12-12 15:50, Joergen W. Lang wrote:

It would be interesting to see some sample URLs, as that could let us
find out why they are doing that.

http://www.quirksmode.org/
http://www.thecssninja.com/demo/css_chameleon/

I don't see any <style> element on either of those pages.

That is indeed very strange. Apparently my mobile phone provider does some "optimizations" of the page source (removing unneeded whitespace, etc.). But that attribute still makes no sense. Crystal ball, anyone?

(Getting the same pages via a different connection does not show the attribute, btw.)

[snip Google stuff]

Still wondering why anybody would use "display: none" on a style tag,

In addition to the case I outlined, there's also the possibility of
wanting to override normal (i.e., not !important) user style sheet
rules. Someone might want to have user style sheet that makes some
normally invisible content visible... here's a demo:
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/styles/show.html
(The demo has only author style sheets of course, but you can imagine -
or test - how the "Showing style" stylesheet works as a user stylesheet.)

Agreed. That's what I meant by "prevent people from exposing their code". Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Jørgen