If you work for a development company you have to adhere to the company
policy. What ever it is.
But if you and independent developer the company policy is what ever you
want it to be.

The percentage of IE6 users is so low I don't see why it can't be ignored.
One more interesting question:
who are (as a generalized demographic group) the people who do still use
IE6?

I can go with that reasoning, but let me play IE 6's advocate for a
second..let's say that any client wants any person with any
computer/software rig to be able to get to, view and use their site, and,
bottom line: spend money.

So, if I, a client, want your dough, I don't care WHAT computer stuff you
use.

Sounds from your comments that some/many companies feel that IE6 usage is
so insignificant as to make accommodating it to be more costly than any
benefit gotten from the accommodation.

Is that the feeling?

Thanks!
John

The company policies I've seen for several fortune 500 companies in the US
all take into account IE6 but if you have an ecommerce site the chances are
you'll run into issues with shopping carts and payment processing for IE6
users but they can always buy offline!
Re your point: "So, if I, a client, want your dough, I don't care WHAT
computer stuff you use." I would agree but then you should also make your
site work for IE5.5 as well and also clients who have javascript turned off
as well as flash.
I have seen some scripts that sniff what browser the user is using but they
seem to be very unreliable and consistently wrong.