On 8/1/12 8:39 PM, Robert A. Rosenberg wrote:
At 16:57 -0400 on 08/01/2012, Tedd Sperling wrote about Re: [css-d] on
html and css versions:

What is wrong with using?

<!DOCTYPE html>

Sure it doesn't have a *real* DTD, but the W3C validator does somehow
validate pages that have this DOCTYPE declaration, right? So, there
must be some sort of *standards* it validates contents against, right?
 Where/what is that "DTD"? I think that would be an interesting thing
to know.

You are missing two points.

First is that while browsers may not actually use the referenced DTD (the
 http... clause), they do parse the HTML based on the DOCTYPE html
PUBLIC... clause and treat the HTML differently based on what you
declare.

[...]

As a side note affecting CSS, if you use the HTML5 DOCTYPE and add a comment
before it, IE goes into "quirks mode"--_unless_ there is an http header or
META tag declaring an appropriate "X-UA-Compatible" value. In that case, IE
8+ is in standards mode, and earlier IE in "quirks."

So-o-o-o --

If you want to use "box-sizing: border-box;" you _could_ use the HTML5
DOCTYPE with a comment before it, together with "X-UA-Compatible" for IE8+
and get the same box-sizing on all browsers. :)

Of course, IE older than version 8 then work like IE 5.5 so you'd need a
very dumbed down set of styles for ancient IE---something I do anyway.

More interesting than useful, but something you might like to be aware of.
--
Cordially,
David