On Jan 13, 2013, at 2:50 PM, John Snippe <j...@snippe.ca> wrote:
> On 2013-01-13, at 2:09 PM, Tedd Sperling wrote:
>
>> Additionally, here is something that helped me -- when converting from
>> pixels to em simply divide by 16.
>>
>> For example, an image that is 16 pixels wide is also 1 em wide.
>
> If I recall, that would only work if the base fontsize is 16, right?
> --
> John Snippe

Well.. that's where you can get into trouble, namely mixing size/measurement
types.

I make certain that ALL measurements in my layouts are done in em's and nothing
else.

So, to answer your question, the base font size would be 1em and NOT 16px.

As such, all standard measurements of images in pixels translate to ems by
using a ratio of 16:1.

Is that clear enough?

Here's an example (if I didn't provide it before):

http://sperling.com/examples/zoom/

Also, here's a complete site:

http://sperling.com/clients/beckyscan/index.php

Try changing your zoom levels in your Browser to see the effect. You can't do
that with pixels.

Cheers,

tedd

t...@sperling.com