> El 17/02/2014, a las 11:29, Barney Carroll escribió:
>
> While bikeshedding around 'how semantic' people feel any given element to be
> is a great laugh (although definitely off-topic for this list), I would
> highly recommend the HTML specification for insight into the purpose of any
> HTML element, especially when confusion arises over the possibility of using
> other elements in its stead. The 'Text-level semantics' page would seem to be
> incredibly pertinent to this conversation. From the section describing the
> <em> element:
>
> The em element isn't a generic "italics" element. Sometimes, text is intended
> to stand out from the rest of the paragraph, as if it was in a different mood
> or voice. For this, the i element is more appropriate.
> The em element also isn't intended to convey importance; for that purpose,
> the strong element is more appropriate.

Thanks Barney, that's a useful extract.  Because browsers draw <em> as italic
I'd always assumed it was just a new fangled complication. But it seems as
though it wouldn't be bad practice at all to restyle em in the css as one
thinks appropriate to the concept of emphasis.

I had to go to wikipedia for 'bikeshedding'. Must be my age.

Peter