Tom,

Setting the root element's font-size to 62.5% results in a REM unit being equal
to 10px assuming that the users UAr default font-size is set to 16px which what
overwhelming majority of browsers in the wild are set to. Some folks prefer to
do it this way because it's easy to think in base 10. Also, by setting the root
element's font-size using a percentage allows the user to change the UA's
default size while retaining a design build using the REM unit.

As for the OP's question. I don't see what Elizabeth describes in Mozilla
Nightly (still need to try in on FF). The diffs I did see between Nightly and
Chrome are minor and appear to be due to the usual diffs in UA font rendering
engines.

Eric