I don’t know what your expectations are but given your code, your
footer will always position itself at the bottom of the content when
the page is longer than the height of  the viewport (as in the sample
page you link to) and will be positioned at the bottom of the
viewport if there is little or no content on the page.

(hint: use the developer tools of your browser to set #container to
display: none and you’ll see this in action)

Yes I see this, it's working fine in IE 11 with #container = display:none;

Now what IE 11 is doing I don’t know (not available on this machine);
based on your description, it isn’t doing what I describe above,
though. Sounds like it interprets your set up as `position: fixed`.

It's showing up in the middle of the content instead of at the very bottom in IE 11.

--
Debbie