Same results as before. The "lsof" and "netstat" commands indicated that the process was running & listening. When I telnet to each server using the appropriate port, it worked as expected.

It seems like running in xinetd mode causes the daemon to not know where it's configuration file is. Like it can't find the appropriate key, so the SSL handshake fails.

The configuration file is below (scrubbed):

   # Csync2 Configuration File
   # ---------------------------------
   #
   # Please read the documentation:
   # /usr/share/doc/csync2-*/README.quickstart
   # /usr/share/doc/csync2-*/paper.pdf
   # csync2(1) man page
   group ftpsync

   {
            #
            # comments that say "(see x.y.z)" refer to chapter x,
   section y,
            #   subsection z in the documentation (paper.pdf).
            #

            host linux3.foo.lo...@nfs.linux3.foo.local;
            host linux4.foo.lo...@nfs.linux4.foo.local;
            host master.foo.lo...@nfs.master.foo.local;
            host samba.foo.lo...@nfs.samba.foo.local;

            key /etc/csync2/csync2.key;

            include %MNT%/ftp/;
            exclude _*.tgz;
            auto none;              # automatic conflict resolution
   (see 3.4.6)
            backup-directory %MNT%/csync2-backup;
            backup-generations 3;
   }
   prefix MNT
   {
            on linux3.foo.local:      /sync;
            on *:                           /data01;
   }