Thanks for the reply!

I appear to have the latest version of csync2 (1.34), but setting
CSYNC2_SYSTEM_DIR didn¹t seem to change the behavior, and if I do a
Œstrings /usr/sbin/csync2¹ the string CSYNC2_SYSTEM_DIR doesn¹t appear to
be in the executable.

Note that my version of csync2 doesn¹t even seem to support the ‹help
option described.

Any ideas?