From: "Frank McGovern" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

The term navigator.  I am having a hard time beleiving that the
title/position of navigator came forth because of this gift you speak of.  A
word that can be substituted for navigator is pilot. The person who knows
the seas - the reefs, etc.  his job was to safely get the ship to where it
had to go.  I think this is more in keeping with what it might have meant
originally.

FXM