CKLN 88.1 FM  Ryerson Polytechnical University  Toronto
INTERNATIONAL CONNECTION
MIND CONTROL SERIES  TAPE 47a
Host/Producer:  Wayne Morris
DON GILLMOR: author of "I Swear by Apollo"

Good morning and welcome to another International Connection. This is
actually our LAST SHOW in our radio series on mind control which has been
running almost a year now on this time slot. Today we are going to be
finishing off the series with a discussion on government and military mind
control. Last week we had a panel on the ritual abuse aspects of mind
control, and this week we are focusing on the history of government in
developing mind control. I am joined in the studio by Don Gillmor who is
the author of "I Swear By Apollo" one of the original books to come out
about Dr. Ewen Cameron and the experiments that were done at McGill
University in Montreal. We are going to be taking phone calls for this show
and you can direct comments or questions to Don or myself. We are going to
introduce what we are going to talk about.

First of all Don, I would like to get your comments about the CBC movie,
The Sleep Room.

DON GILLMOR:

i saw the second half of it, the last 2 hours which dealt with the lawsuit.
>From what I understand the first 2 hours was better, a more accurate
representation of what happened. I have heard since that they were going
more for a truth of the spirit as opposed to truth of the fact - they had
scenes in the second half that certainly didn't take place and they used
the sexier elements you need for made-for-tv (they had a young attractive
woman as Joe Rauh's assistant as opposed to an earnest enterprising young
guy as was the case with James Turner). The aspects that were the most
interesting in the television show were the fact that they showed the
futility and difficulties in taking a group of largely disenfranchised
group of people and trying to sue one government, and in this case it ended
up being two governments - just what you are up against. And how the burden
of proof is on those people. It is so difficult to prove their case - which
is to say there is no doubt that these people were damaged and I think in
the minds of most people there is no doubt that Cameron certainly
exacerbated that.

But then you go to the case of, 'well these people already had problems'.
You have then how much culpability does the government have and how much
culpability does the American government have given that they funded
$67,000 worth of an ongoing program. You end up with all these kinds of
issues - who is to blame ultimately?
I think the culpability can be spread around, but ultimately you have to
look at Cameron in this case as being the most specific cause of all these
problems.

WAYNE MORRIS:

But I would also like to put that in the context of the wider picture. We
have seen now other groups of victims of government experimentation come
forward - I am speaking of the syphilis experiments in Tuskagee and also
the radiation experiments that were exposed at the hearings in Washington,
and the Presidential apology.
It seems like this is recurring - it all seems very familiar. The larger
issue here at stake is that governments of the world should not be
experimenting on their citizens for military or intelligence or for
whatever purposes. It seems like the United States has a history of abusing
their citizens and citizens in other countries
for experimentation. I am just wondering when it is going to stop.
There has been most recently a Bill put forward by Senator John Glenn to
try to curb or end human experimentation. There is pressure from various
lobby groups. Also Bill Clinton himself sent out a Presidential Memo in
March 1997 informing all branches of government not to engage in
experimentation on humans with uninformed consent.

DON GILLMOR:

Certainly that's been a problem, it has been a problem in the past. But I
think when you look at it you have to look at the degrees of sophistication
that are taking place. Back in the fifties for example you have this
incredibly disorganized approach to mind control. The CIA essentially
trying and funding anything - anything that caught their eye. There is
another guy at McGill - Harold Prince - who was studying the Aruba Indians
in Nigeria. They gave him $17,000 just in the off chance that something
would come out of it. It was an incredibly disorganized shot-gun approach.

In the cases of say, the syphilis experiments, what you have is a paradigm.
You will always have a researcher who is ambitious enough to push the edge
of the envelope as far as ethics go. And you will always have groups who
are disenfranchised enough that they either have no power over what is
happening, or they will in fact 'volunteer'. You will get people who are
poor enough that they will take the $50 a day and go and be the
experimental subject. When you say these things have to stop, I think
that's true. It's a question of can you simply stop them by decree - I
don't think so. I think there is a kind of organic quality. You always find
these things rising up. As long as you have these sets of social problems,
as long as you have the medical system working the way it does - the more
successful research papers you have, the more research money you are going
to get - you are going to have these kinds of situations happening on a
subtler basis than they happened back in the 1950's. It's still happening.

WAYNE MORRIS:

That raises a couple of points. To end this it is going to be a movement of
the people that end this, or act as a watch group over these activities. It
seems like the government or the various individuals and organizations
involved in this kind of research don't seem to be able to put those
ethical limits onto themselves for a number of reasons. As always it is
going to take public pressure both to expose this, and to prevent future
incidents of abuse.

It also raises important questions about the techniques and practices of
psychiatry as a whole. We are seeing unbelievable rises in the use of ECT
today - and these are the same things that Cameron was held accountable for
and his victims were reimbursed. It is an ongoing problem. Those issues
have to be addressed by the wider psychiatric community as well.

DON GILLMOR:

The electroshock is an interesting case because it is sort of the great
guilty secret of the psychiatric profession in that there is a fair amount
of disapproval, but it's always been cited as one of the things that
"works" - the reason for the disapproval is because it is very intrusive,
and partly because there is still no recognized methodology on how it
works. No one knows why it appears to work. They say it works, and they
mean in the case of severe depressives who were suicidal before ECT, and
now they are not. If you are looking at it from that kind of profit and
loss equation - and in some cases they are - they say we have saved someone
as a result of using intrusive treatment.

When Cameron was using electroshock, there were no limits on its use and it
was a much higher voltage - in some cases 3 times highers than the ones
they use now. He was using 150 ECT treatments. He had this unbelievably
intrusive experiment basically and he was trying to erase all aspects of
the personality. Now as I recall in Ontario if you use more than six
electroshock treatments on a patient, you have to appeal to a committee
within the hospital. I think there is someone from outside the hospital on
each committee. On the one hand the psychiatric profession has kind of
publicly suggested they don't use it very much and that is intrusive, a
kind of medieval thing. On the other hand, quietly, inside the profession,
there is support for it. The danger here again is 'what are they doing? why
does it work?' It was invented forty years ago and there is still no reason
for why it works.

WAYNE MORRIS:

To me it seems like the reason why it works is that is a very blunt tool -
and that it does cause brain damage. The reason why it so-called 'works' is
because it just makes people forget their pain and whatever they are going
through, and numbs them out to reality as a whole. Whether that is called
successful treatment is questionable in my mind. I can see in the more
severe cases that ECT has saved lives, but my contention is that it is
being grossly over-used
currently for people who should not have this treatment, and it should only
be used as a last resort. They are using it as a first resort now and
that's my objection to ECT. The same thing could be said for psychiatric
drugs as well. They are being over-used. As soon as they admit somebody,
they are often immediately injected with a neuroleptic drug which are
dangerous in themselves.

DON GILLMOR:

It think it's true that drugs are being over-used and probably ECT is as
well. In a way we are reverting to some degree back to what we came from,
which is essentially what you had in the fifties were these huge
institutions. At McGill for example, the St. Jean de Dieu Hospital had over
6000 patients and the Douglas Hospital had 3000. The Douglas Hospital had
three psychiatrists on staff to deal with 3000 patients. Essentially they
didn't have the resources to treat these people in any meaningful way so
all you did was lock them up and do what you could to keep them from
killing themselves. Drugs and ECT are to some degree crude instruments that
free up resources in terms of hospital space and doctors - so you give
these people drugs - send them back out. The cycle of
de-institutionalization which also came out of the Allen, not through
Cameron, but other doctors. The nightmare of that is that you are using
them in effect to replace funding for other things. Politically it's not an
attractive or sexy hook to say we are going to spend $55 million on halfway
houses and social workers and psychologists to integrate these people into
society. It's much more attractive to say we are going to fund drug
research and then we won't have to deal with any of this stuff - we won't
need this kind of infrastructure - we will have a drug - the magic bullet
theory. It was proven wrong thirty years ago, but it is still lingers - if
we just found the right drug, the right combination, we are so close, etc.
But you still end up with someone who basically is asymptomatic - you don't
have someone who can function in conversations, who knows how to get a job.
You are still left with those kinds of things. It's a very difficult
political sell.

WAYNE MORRIS:

i would like to talk about the actual goals Cameron had, why he was doing
these experiments, and particularly as I focused on the series on the
allegations that have come forth from survivors of government mind control
who are alleging that they have been used in experiments involving ECT and
drugs, hypnosis, trauma to cause dissociation, and that aspect of
dissociation being an important one in terms of the intelligence and
espionage capabilities they have. Being able to carry out these operations
without any memory of doing them. A lot of the things that Cameron was
experimenting with seem to have been perfected and used and now in
operational use by government and military. Of course we don't have 'hard
proof' of this but the existence of these many people, hundreds of people
coming forth with the same allegations from cross the continent
and the world in fact, suggests that something is going on.

We have a caller.

WOMAN:

(snip) pick them up off the streets and inject them - they are passing
legislation now to be much more adamant about that, and not let people sort
of work their way back into society. I think a lot of this may have to do
with political dissidents actually from the point of view of what's been
happening with the real right wing agenda in North America and particularly
in this province. They may feel that a lot of the people who are involved
such as the poor who are involved with OCAP and various other situations -
may be in a kind of in-between, no-man's land, where hey we can put a lot
of these dissidents under the boot if we want to, if we actually use this
method. When you think that John Hinkley was George Bush's next-door
neighbour's son who tried to kill Regan - I mean it gets all very X-Files
when you think about what can be done if you want to use people for certain
specific reasons.

Also on your show you mentioned at one point that Ewen Cameron was
protected by Mila Mulroney's father in some kind of court room situation or
something or other - that he had something to do with the protection of
Cameron. I would like to know who her father was and what his connection
was in terms of the overall connection with George Bush and Brian Mulroney
sitting on Peter Monk's Board of CEO's and the connection there - and the
political connection where these people are involved in power plays and how
now we are getting legislation which is coming down harder on people who
are suspected as being "borderline psychiatric cases" so they can actually
force drugs on them. I just see a real political agenda going on here.

WAYNE MORRIS:

Absolutely. This "involuntary outpatient committal" is totally uncalled-for
- forcing these harmful drugs on people who have a history of being
psychiatric "consumers". Mila Mulroney's father is Dr. Pivnicki at the
Allen Memorial who is a prominent psychiatrist - I don't have many details
about his cover-up. I think Don Weitz has covered that more on Shrink-Rap.

DON GILLMOR:

He is a doctor at the Allen Memorial and he would have been a relatively
young doctor when Cameron was running things. He was in a fairly junior
position. The connection has been I think to some degree blown out of
proportion because Cameron's work was relatively secluded in the sense that
there was a handful of people he had more or less hand-picked to work on
his specific area of research. Pivnicki wasn't one of them from the
documents. Cameron's research was fairly well known, it wasn't secretive.
Pivnicki was simply there at the same time. Now I suspect he may have had -
I don't know if he was sympathetic to Cameron - but he certainly would have
wanted to put Cameron's work into a larger psychiatric perspective and try
to avoid the political connection. I think that in effect where Pivnicki
stood.

WOMAN:

The U.S. has a sort of nasty history of sub-contracting out their nasty
bits and pieces of CIA movements in other countries. Canada being forced to
more or less come in on the Iraqi bombing and things like that - when in
fact most Canadians don't want to have blood on their hands and why should
we? Luring us into these situations so we are partners in crime at a
certain level - makes you wonder about Britain always, always kowtowing to
the US no matter what is going on. Is it a matter of the tail wagging the
dog - and we are really having to look deeper in the subterranean depths -
who did what to who at an international level. Why are we coming up with
policies that generally are globally having more of a right wing oppressive
way of negating millions of lives - either through economic genocide or
some other form of pressure.

I just find that psychiatry and other tools like that are being used with
specific intentions and you don't have to be a paranoid 'nut' to see these
things. They are cropping up everywhere. I think with the net - there is a
lot of panic among the right wing because too much information is escaping
and therefore you are getting a speed-up in a lot of areas because they are
wanting to overtake things before those things overtake them.  I just would
say, get more information out - because that's the only way. Right now,
they are like coming in with the draggers, in terms of small fishing boats
which used to be able to keep the public in a state of ignorance and
ioppress them. Now they are starting to get out the huge draggers so that
people are not going to be informed. Alternative radio stations and people
who have the information - in terms of your show - have got to keep getting
the information out because they are running scared with the worldwide net
because more and more information is escaping, thank God. That's all I have
to say.

WAYNE MORRIS:

Thank you for your comments. I think you have raised some interesting
points about the political coercion that goes on, for example the second
attack on Iraq. I think that coercion happens at a lot of different levels.
It seems like they are not as concerned as in the past of coercing the
public's opinion - particularly in Ontario - they just ignore the public's
opinion. The coercion seems to be happening at the higher political levels
in terms of their desire to implement whatever the issue is. One thing that
has been raised in this series is the use of mind control for political
coercion and I think that is an area that really needs to be investigated.
What kind of government, democracy, are we living in when all of our
politicians and officials have the ability to be manipulated in this way,
being blackmailed by using these mind control victims from whom we have
heard allegations?

DON WEITZ (caller):

Someone made a statement about shock which is wrong - that some people stop
being suicidal after ECT. I have reviewed a great deal of the literature
and Dr. Peter Breggin has a book, "Brain Disabling TTreatments in
Psychiatry". There is not one shred of evidence that ECT has prevented or
can prevent anyone from commiting suicide. It always damages the brain, it
disables the mind and it should be abolished. Dr. Breggin is one of the
very few doctors in the Western world who has called for the abolition of
ECT. It always disables the brain - there is nothing good to be said about
this treatment.
It's a lie when they say they don't know how it works - they know very well
how it works - it always to disable the brain. The inventor of electric
shock, Ugo Cerletti an Italian who invented ECT after seeing how
electricity stunned pigs on the way to the slaughterhouse - he decided to
use it on "unwilling" schizophrenic patients. It subdues the patient. When
you think that the brain only needs 1/1000 of a millivolt to survive or to
live - they are dumping now as much as 175-200 volts of electricity into
the human brain. That's a hell of a lot more than what comes out of your
electrical socket at home. So, no. One doesn't need a doctor to know that
this is really an abomination, and it's a crime against humanity, and it
should be stopped. I have been trying to say that on CKLN more than once.
What is particularly upsetting now is that the escalating use of ECT in
North America is targeting elderly women, and I have statistics that show
that 70% of the women who get electric shock are over 65 in Ontario. The
same thing is happening in the US and no one is speaking out.

ECT has always been a mind control weapon, but what a lot of people
have to realize is that it subdues, pacifies in a brutal way. People come
out with huge chunks of memory loss. To this day, the Canadian Psychiatric
Association as you know, has never apologize to the victims of Cameron's
brainwashing experiments. The CPA has never done that - in fact they
obstructed the miniscule amount of awards that were given to the survivors
of Cameron. The CPA have consistently lied to the public and the victims by
saying that your memory will be as good as ever. People permanently lose
huge chunks of memory - Wendy Funk in Vancouver is still trying to get her
case in court. She has lost 30 years of her life after undergoing 40+
electric shocks in Alberta in the 80's. She has no memory of growing up.
Please. Do not say electric shock can prevent suicide. Absolutely not.

WAYNE MORRIS:

It seems to me that these methods of psychiatric treatment such as electro
shock and the harmful drugs, seem to be a bandaid, quick-fix solution where
really the more traditional psychotherapy in terms of talking with the
people who are needing help, talking through their problems, creating more
opportunities in their lives. I think a lot of so-called mental illnesses
actually have roots in social problems to a great degree.

DON GILLMOR:

Electric shock is a very crude instrument and anyone can use it. The drugs
are much more sophisticated and the people who prescribe them don't really
understand them that well. Whereas forty years ago it was the clinicians
who were experimenting with them. They were experimenting on the people
they were treating and they had a firsthand account of what was happening
to those people. The drugs have become so sophisticated they are
essentially a separate science. You have the neurosciences over here, and
psychiatrists somewhere else. In fact there is almost no common language
now. Drugs are coming out on a monthly basis and to keep up with the
literature is simply impossible. Doctors are taking short-cuts, they are
not understanding the side effects, over-prescribing.

           <= we're not machines you know =>
      +++ we're not going to fall over in rows +++

              Dr. King - On The Beach - 1959

                 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                     www.aches-mc.org