-Caveat Lector-

On 27 Dec 98 , Alamaine wrote:

> This was a time when Bill Clinton, moving through his 20s at Georgetown,
> Oxford and Yale, rejected military service and experimented with
> marijuana. But in general, according to a biographer, the Washington Post
> reporter David Maraniss, Mr. Clinton followed ''a moderate course during
> an increasingly immoderate period.'' The stamp of that period remained on
> Mr. Clinton, in at least two areas: the evasiveness that characterized his
> dealings with the ''threat'' of military service and the permissiveness he
> allowed in his sexual life.
>
> In judging Mr. Clinton's morals to be typical of his generation - only 7
> percent thought them better; 27 percent, worse - most of those surveyed
> made it clear they disapproved.

I think it is really, really interesting that the morality of the
nation is being discussed in terms of Bill Clinton's personal, sexual
behavior.

Why isn't the morality of the nation being considered in terms of all
it's most successful citizens...dissecting their sex lives, their
divorces, their ethical behavior in both private and corporate
practice (in terms of  contributing to the general welfare of the
nation's citizens), their drug use, their military service, their
crimes, the "moral" and "mental health of their families and
children....

Given all the facts we might come up with some interesting polls and
statistics...and an explanation for the cynicism of many of our young
people, which is largely based on their observation that greed,
ruthlessness, the "right connections,"  and an ability to be totally
unscrupulous are positive "values" for those who would achieve the
outer limits of The American Dream.

Crime has always been an element of success in America. But the
system can be merciless to those who get "caught." By the time
they're teenagers, kids know that.

sno0wl