-Caveat Lector-

Libertarians: The Cult of Liberty
by Mike Moxley

Libertarians claim to be the promoters and defenders of Liberty in the
truest sense of the intentions of the founding fathers of our nation.  Is
this so?

To the Libertarian, the ULTIMATE VALUE of Libertarianism is Liberty, rather
than Liberty being the result of a moral government of, by, and for a moral
people. The morality being based in religious principle.  The founders knew
that morality could not exist outside of religious principle:

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is
wholly inadequate to the government of any other."-John Adams

"Our ancestors established their system of government on morality and
religious sentiment. Moral habits, they believed, cannot safely be
entrusted on any other foundation than religious principle, not any
government secure which is not supported by moral habits.... Whatever makes
men good Christians, makes them good citizens." - Daniel Webster

We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human
passions unbridled by morality and religion. Avarice, ambition, revenge, or
gallantry, would break the strongest cords of our Constitution as a whale
goes through a net.  Our Constitution was made only for a moral and
religious people.  It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.
- John Adams, Oct.11, 1798 Address to the military

"Of all the dispositions and habits which lead to political prosperity,
religion and morality are indispensable supports. In vain would that man
claim tribute to patriotism who should labor to subvert these great pillars
of human happiness -- these firmest props of the duties of men and
citizens. . . . reason and experience both forbid us to expect that
national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principles."
-George Washington

While the Libertarians have a form of morality as in their oft quoted: "Our
liberties stop at another's nose", the libertarians lack of a moral
STANDARD causes them to overshoot the nose and land one right between the
eyes of another.  In other words, because of a lack of a moral standard,
100 Libertarians have 100 different ideas just exactly where your nose starts.

So what religious principle is this American morality based in? Well, who
were the fathers and grandfathers of our revolutionary founders?  The
pilgrims and men such as Smith, Raleigh, William Penn. The morals of these
men came from the religious principles set forth in the Holy Bible.  They
dedicated this land to the God of the Bible.  To wit:

Having undertaken for the Glory of God, and Advancement of the Christian
Faith, and the Honour of our King and Country, a voyage to plant the first
colony in the northern parts of Virginia; do by these presents, solemnly
and mutually in the Presence of God and one of another, covenant and
combine ourselves together into a civil Body Politick, for our better
Ordering and Preservation, and Furtherance of the Ends aforesaid; And by
Virtue hereof to enact, constitute, and frame, such just and equal Laws,
Ordinances, Acts, Constitutions and Offices, from time to time, as shall be
thought most meet and convenient for the General good of the Colony; unto
which we promise all due submission and obedience. -Mayflower Compact, 1620

The founders spoke of the morality of the Christian faith.  The writings,
speeches, and quotes of the founders show that the Bible was their source
of morality.  To the founders liberty was from God and was a direct result
of living that morality and believing, despite overwhelming adversity, that
God would bring them to victory and to true liberty. They actually believed
that "Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is Liberty" -II Corinthians 3:17.

Proof?
History will also afford the frequent opportunities of showing the
necessity of a public religion, from its usefulness to the public; the
advantage of a religious character among private persons; the mischiefs of
superstition, &c. and the excellency of the Christian religion above all
others, ancient or modern. -Ben Franklin

"I shall now entreat you in the most earnest manner to believe in Jesus
Christ, for "there is no salvation in any other", [Acts 4:12]. If you are
not clothed with the spotless robe of His righteousness, you must forever
perish." -John Witherspoon, Signer of the Declaration of Independence

"My only hope of salvation is in the infinite, transcendent love of God
manifested to the world by the death of His Son upon the Cross. Nothing but
His blood will wash away my sins. I rely exclusively upon it. Come, Lord
Jesus! Come quickly!" -Benjamin Rush, Signer of the Declaration of
Independence

"I believe that there is one only living and true God, existing in three
persons, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost, the same in substance,
equal in power and glory. That the Scriptures of the old and new testaments
are a revelation from God and a complete rule to direct us how we may
glorify and enjoy Him." -Roger Sherman, Signer of the Declaration of
Independence and the US Constitution

"The rights essential to happiness.... We claim them from a higher source -
from the King of kings and Lord of all the earth." - John Dickinson; signed
the Constitution and a member of the Continental Congress

Bad men cannot make good citizens. It is impossible that a nation of
infidels or idolaters should be a nation of free men. It is when a people
forget God that tyrants forge their chains.- Patrick Henry

"I have little doubt that the whole country will soon be rallied to the
unity of our Creator, and, I hope, to the pure doctrines of Jesus also." "I
shall need, too, the favor of that Being in whose hands we are, who led our
forefathers, as Israel of old, from their native land and planted them in
this country." -Thomas Jefferson, 3rd President of the US, chosen to write
the Declaration of Independence

So now having established the religious principle in which the founders
based there morality, let's compare that to the Libertarians (who claim to
be the ideological progeny of the founders) sliding scale, near-anarchist
approach to morality.

The membership speaks for itself; homosexuals, lesbians, assorted perverts,
drug abusers, and abortion rights activists are the most outspoken.  It is
a party of the self. Me, Me, Me.  Quite the opposite of the biblical
morality of the founders.  The founders would not have tolerated the above
mentioned.  It is also noteworthy that for all the Constitution worshipping
that they do, they would deny those same constitutional protections to the
weakest of Americans, the unborn child.  Denying the child the right to
Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness.  Very hypocritical stance indeed.

Is the Libertarians ultimate value really even Liberty?  It seems that what
they really seek is selfish gratification of various vices and the freedom
to partake in those vices.  This is NOT liberty but rather licentiousness
and avarice.  This is what happens when freedom is not tempered by virtue
and a moral standard. Libertarianism is NOT the descendant of the beliefs
of the founders, but is rather in extreme opposition to it.

What did the founders have to say about this?
"To suppose that any form of government will secure liberty or happiness
without any virtue in the people, is a chimerical idea." -James Madison

"Bad men cannot make good citizens. It is when a people forget God that
tyrants forge their chains. A vitiated state of morals, a corrupted public
conscience, is incompatible with freedom. No free government, or the
blessings of liberty, can be preserved to any people but by a firm
adherence to justice, moderation, temperance, frugality, and virtue; and by
a frequent recurrence to fundamental principles." -Patrick Henry

"Public virtue cannot exist in a nation without private, and public virtue
is the only foundation of republics." -John Adams

"Honor is truly sacred, but holds a lower rank in the scale of moral
excellence than virtue. Indeed the former is part of the latter, and
consequently has not equal pretensions to support a frame of government
productive of human happiness." -John Adams

"Neither the wisest constitution nor the wisest laws will secure the
liberty and happiness of a people whose manners are universally corrupt. He
therefore is the truest friend of the liberty of his country who tries most
to promote its virtue, and who, so far as his power and influence extend,
will not suffer a man to be chosen onto any office of power and trust who
is not a wise and virtuous man." -Samuel Adams

"If we and our posterity reject religious instruction and authority,
violate the rules of eternal justice, trifle with the injunctions of
morality, and recklessly destroy the political constitution which holds us
together, no man can tell how sudden a catastrophe may overwhelm us, that
shall bury all our glory in profound obscurity." -Daniel Webster

"Human rights can only be assured among a virtuous people. The general
government . . . can never be in danger of degenerating into a monarchy, an
oligarchy, an aristocracy, or any despotic or oppressive form so long as
there is any virtue in the body of the people." -George Washington

"Virtue or morality is a necessary spring of popular government." -George
Washington

"Can it be that Providence has not connected the permanent felicity of a
nation with its virtue? " -George Washington

It is easy to see that the founder's idea of Liberty, morality, and virtue
stand in stark contrast to the modern day Libertarian view.  Libertarianism
is more of a quest for a moral justification for selfish gratification than
a quest for liberty.

Libertarianism is nothing more than a Cult of Liberty, or more exact, a
Cult of Licentiousness.  A cult of pious infidels and idolaters, claiming
patriotism and liberty, parading a form of morality, yet with no religious
principle to anchor a morality.

"This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come. For men
shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud,
blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, Without natural
affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of
those that are good, Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more
than lovers of God; Having a form of godliness, but denying the power
thereof: from such turn away." -2 Timothy 3:1-5

Most libertarians view government as a destroyer of liberty. But according
to the founder's Declaration of Independence, government is essential to
create and sustain liberty.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]     The Patriot Resource Center:
                                 http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/6627/