-Caveat Lector-

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
>>: Are unpiratable, unbreakable, absolutely secure systems possible?
>> Is there a Santa Claus? Is privacy an illusion, a commodity, a process,
>> a drama? -Ric
>
>An interesting question.

And probably one of the central quandries of the near future. Consider
some technological developments coming up shortly: complete control of
the human genome, of human biology.  Computing/communication systems
with nearly infinite storage, nearly infinite processing power, nearly
infinite connectivity.  Near-infinite power/fuel/resources.  Everything
closely meshed.  We WILL all be linked in a wireless net, like neurons
in a planetary brain, All Watched Over By Machines Of Loving Grace, the
Net as a whole monitoring the bioactivity of its component nodes [us]
to keep us healthy, alive.  To live, will be to be connected.

In that kind of environment, privacy is suicide - or secession, escape,
expatriation, budding.  Will we be a hive-mind, with small dissident
cells disconnecting from the main hive to fly off, establishing new
hives under other suns?  Will individuality be meaningful or possible
in a totally-connected world?  I dunno.  I *do* know that in a short
time, the political/religious/economic disputes we now engage in will
be about as funny as counting angels on pinheads.  We're well prepared
to fight past intellectual wars, not future ones.  Bother.

PS: That was just a taste of SkeptiNews.  For more, subscribe.

* [EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://www.sonic.net/~ric * ICQ# 19633976 *
*
*** SkeptiChat: sliding down the razor-blade of life ***
now featuring SkeptiNews: All The News That's Fit To Question
email INFO or SUBSCRIBE SKEPTICHAT to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]