-Caveat Lector-

http://www.arabnews.com/Article.asp?ID=23713
Arab News
SAUDI ARABIA'S FIRST ENGLISH LANGUAGE DAILY

Saudi-US Relations After Sept. 11, 2001

Published on 15 March 2003

A group of intellectuals and academics attended a forum organized by
Asharq Al-Awsat, a
sister publication of Arab News, in Riyadh recently to discuss Saudi-US
relations after the Sept. 11, 2001 events from a Saudi perspective. In this,
the first of a four-part series, the Jeddah-based managing editor of the
paper, Tariq Al-Homayed, reports on what they had to say about the
political fallout.

In the first session, which was devoted to politics, the participants agreed
that there was a problem in Saudi-US cultural ties in particular. The talks
emphasized the need for the Kingdom to answer why 15 Saudis were
among the Sept. 11 hijackers, not to please the US but to increase its own
national security.

The issue of plurality in Saudi society was also raised, and there were
heated arguments about its unique features. Speakers highlighted the lack
of political awareness in some Saudi media, and of personalities who had a
negative impact on Saudi public opinion.

Dr. Turki Al-Hamad, a well-known thinker and novelist, spoke on Saudi-US
relations in a world after Sept. 11 events and how the US started reviewing
the basis of interests in its foreign relations, including its ties with Saudi
Arabia. Al-Hamad said that the US was trying to create a world of its own
design, and consequently faced problems when it came to dealing with
Saudi culture and politics.

The problem was also sociocultural, added Dr. Abdullah ibn Jaber Al-Otaibi,
professor of international politics at King Saud University in Riyadh. It was
“society vs. state and not state vs. state,” he explained.

According to Dr. Khaled Al-Dakheel, professor of political science at King
Saud University in Riyadh, Saudi-US relations were conducted at an official
level for seven decades, but the Sept. 11 events brought the cultural side
to the forefront of relations and made it difficult for the two countries to
reach an understanding.

The lack of a common language adds to the problem, explained Al-Dakheel.
“The presence of 15 Saudis on the hijacked planes on Sept. 11 does not
mean everyone in Saudi society is a terrorist,” he said.

“Yes, there is a real problem,” said Dr. Ziyad ibn Abdul Rahman Al-Sudairy,
a member of the Shoura Council. Saudi-US relations had moved from the
top down to the level of ordinary people, and this had exposed the lack of
knowledge on both sides.

“The Americans do not know the Kingdom and we don’t know many things
about the US. We look at the US only from the angle of the Middle East
situation. As a result, they have started attacking us with and without
reason. And we are doing the same,” Sudairy said.

There was indeed a cultural gap, Dr. Mohammed Al-Holwa, a member of the
Shoura, agreed. “When the Americans found out about their ignorance of
Saudi tribes and the nature of our society, they sent their journalists to
collect information about us,” he said. “What did the Kingdom do? We
don’t have a single center in the Kingdom that talks about the superpower
America and introduces that country to our citizens,” he explained.

Holwa disclosed that the Saudi Interior Ministry had proposed the
establishment of a center specializing in US affairs under the supervision of
King Saud University, but the proposal did not see the light of day because
of “a bureaucracy that kills beautiful things.”

Describing Saudi-US relations as secretive, Hussein Shobokshi, a well-known
businessman and media personality, said they were based on economic
interests, and ignored human and cultural factors.

“While they attack us in their newspapers, we also attack them in our
newspaper every day,” he observed.

There are differences between the two countries when it comes to what
they value, he added.

“But there are also differences between the Americans and Japanese.
France opposes globalization but when a McDonald’s restaurant was
attacked the French society dealt with the crime and made it clear that it
opposed extremism.”

In defense of concerns in the Kingdom, Raed Al-Qarmali of the Foreign
Ministry pointed to the US’ status as the only superpower in the world,
which had enabled some American groups to impose their views worldwide.
At the same time, the Kingdom’s geographical position and its relative
power in the Arab world had led certain popular agencies to think that
they had the power to do anything.

“This led to the distortion of relations between the two countries,” he
adds.

Debates at the seminar revolved around what was called “Bush’s faith” and
how it hampers Saudi efforts to improve ties with the US as well as
diplomatic initiatives to shield Arab countries targeted by Washington.

Dr. Al-Hamad at one point interjected: “We have to keep America away
from our minds and discuss the interest of our country. For how long are
we going to continue building our policies only on reaction?”

Al-Hamad said the discussions should focus on Saudi Arabia before making
an assessment of the American side. “We have to find an answer to the
difficult question: Why did 15 Saudis take part in the Sept. 11 attacks?”

“The answer to this question is important not only for the US but for the
Kingdom,” Dr. Otaibi agreed. “We have to understand whether these
youths posed a threat to national security. Others could do the same
thing, but here in our country,” he added.

Foreign Minister Prince Saud Al-Faisal has said in a press statement that
the presence of 15 Saudis was not the only issue. The Al-Qaeda leader
could have found 15 youths from other countries to carry out the attacks.
But the aim, he said, was to use those Saudi youths to destroy Saudi-US
relations, as Crown Prince Abdullah, deputy premier and commander of
the National Guard, has also pointed out.

But Dr. Qarmali had another explanation on the slow response of the
Kingdom to the Sept. 11 events, saying it was purely because of the
Kingdom’s conservative ways.

“Conservatism and calmness are the hallmarks of our system. By contrast,
the Americans respond to events quickly and make immediate decisions.”

He added that Saudi officialdom was stunned by the enormity of the Sept.
11 events, and it appeared that there was a considerable time lapse before
the Kingdom realized the danger involved.

All participants emphasized the need to look hard at problems in Saudi
society, rather than blame the Americans for everything.

“We will benefit more from an internal assessment than from making
excuses,” Otaibi said, but Dakheel added a note of caution. The US, he
said, had to acknowledge that the Taleban and Bin Laden were not
creatures of the Kingdom’s policies but the product of the Cold War. The
US, Pakistan and Saudi Arabia thus had a joint responsibility.

“Why should we shoulder the blame alone?” he asked.

Holwa highlighted the lack of political awareness in the local media.

“There are certain writers in the Saudi press who do not give priority to
national security,” he said.

He accused prominent media personalities of pandering to the street at
the expense of the Kingdom’s interests.

“If the street wants to attack America in response to its biased policies in
the Middle East, you can find those attacks in our press.”

Holwa responded by calling for a change in the extremist views presented
in the Saudi press.

“The best way to control such extremist views is to allow the spread of
different views, without suppressing them,” Dakheel countered.

All participants agreed on the need for promoting plurality.

“Saudi politics must accept plurality,” Dakheel said.

But Al-Sudairy said the absence of plurality was not a political decision but
must be created by Saudi culture.

“For cultural and historical reasons, Saudi society itself will not accept
plurality at the family level,” he added.

Al-Hamad agreed and added that the economic boom, far from changing
the situation, gave people the wrong impression that they could carry on
without developing the system toward a civil society.

“Society must develop,” Al-Hamad said.

In his concluding remarks, Shobokshi said: “In order to achieve that we
have to refocus the essence of citizenship both in terms of rights and in
terms of duties.”

(Part II on Sunday)

Opinion 15 March 2003

Copyright © 2003 ArabNews All Rights Reserved.
Forwarded for your information.  The text and intent of the article
have to stand on their own merits.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material
for non-profit research and educational purposes only.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do
not believe simply because it has been handed down for many genera-
tions.  Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and
rumoured by many.  Do not believe in anything simply because it is
written in Holy Scriptures.  Do not believe in anything merely on
the authority of teachers, elders or wise men.  Believe only after
careful observation and analysis, when you find that it agrees with
reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all.
Then accept it and live up to it." The Buddha on Belief,
from the Kalama Sutra

http://archive.jab.org/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/
 <A HREF="http://archive.jab.org/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/">ctrl</A>