-Caveat Lector-

 DefenseWatch "The Voice of the Grunt"

03-12-2003

>From the Editor: Impending War Brings Changes to SFTT

http://www.sftt.org/cgi-bin/csNews/csNews.cgi?database=DefenseWatch%
2edb&command=viewone&op=t&id=8&rnd=644.561767578125

By Ed Offley

Within a week or two, it appears inevitable that a U.S.-British military force
numbering over 250,000 strong will breach the sand berms and airspace of
Iraq in the long- anticipated showdown with Iraq.

The operation may succeed in a matter of days or weeks, or could bog
down for months. The invasion may be a decisive strike that quickly shocks
the Iraqi military into paralysis and collapse, or it could suddenly grind to a
halt in a lethal cloud of chemical and biological agents. The attack could
realign the politics of the Middle East toward a new climate of freedom
and individual liberty never before experienced, or it could trigger a new
wave of terrorism and anti-American hatred.

No one can predict with any degree of strong confidence how events will
unfold.

What we can be certain of is that “Operation Desert Spring” (or whatever
the Pentagon finally names this mission) is going to be the most-covered
war in history. We at SFTT.org and DefenseWatch magazine are also
preparing for war, and we hope that you, our readers and supporters, will
be well served by our efforts.

Already, more than 500 American and foreign journalists have been
“embedded” with the U.S. military units deploying to Iraq, and hundreds
more are covering the rush of events in Washington, D.C., from the capitals
of Europe, and from Doha to Baghdad. Thanks to the digital computer
revolution since Gulf War I, we can anticipate news reports from the front
within hours of the events they document taking place. Because of new,
miniaturized video cameras and videophones, we are already getting a
bird’s- eye view from military aircraft ranging from F-16 fighters to U-2
reconnaissance aircraft.

All Americans should brace themselves for a Mount Everest-scale avalanche
of text, video and digital graphics as the war news comes hurtling out of
the Middle East via cyberspace. We at SFTT.org are reorganizing our
operation to help you keep up with the pace of events.

Over the past few weeks we have been redesigning our internet website
to accommodate the torrent of information that will be generated at the
outset of battle. Our top priority mission will be to help you sift through
the raw data and quickly achieve a balanced and informed understanding
of the events that are unfolding.

Some of our changes include:

DefenseWatch magazine at SFTT.org this week will change from a weekly
online magazine to a 24/7 web-base publication that will be updated on a
daily basis with new columns from Col. David Hackworth and our
contributing editors. Our cadre of dedicated, volunteer contributors will
apply their military and professional experiences to provide you with
informed analysis and commentary to better grasp the significance of
events.

Our daily SFTT News site will be significantly expanded to accommodate
the scores – if not more – key news stories that appear in the U.S. and
international news media each day. We have created subsites at SFTT.org
that will give you ready access to specific news and information you may
seek, including:

* A Battlefield Reports site from embedded journalists that are displayed in
a directory of the major military units involved.

* A Briefing Room site where the latest briefing, speech and press
conference transcripts and other key documents will be posted.

* A special From the Troops site where we will publish first-hand accounts
of war from those directly involved in the fighting.

* A Gunsight Video site where you will be able to find the latest video
imagery from the battlefield.

* A Commentary section providing access to a full cross-section of
editorials, columnists and news analyses from the mainstream news media.

* A section for Other Military News of importance.

We will also continue to publish news, analysis and feedback of the critical
issue of nuclear, chemical and biological defenses on our Poisoned
Battlefield site. Our other standing features, including Insider Notes from
the Pentagon, Paul’s Corner and special reports, will continue to appear
as well.

And finally, we will continue to welcome your comments and responses in
our SFTT Feedback section.

We hope that at this critical moment in our nation’s history, you will
continue to use our website and online news operation as your window on
the U.S. military. We encourage you to tell your friends and colleagues
about SFTT.org and DefenseWatch magazine. We are truly grateful for your
donations that have allowed a small, nonprofit organization to grow over
the past 18 months into a valuable link between the American people and
those beloved men and women in uniform who have sworn to protect us
all.

Ed Offley is Editor of DefenseWatch. He can be reached at
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

– Your Support is Important!
– Feedback Wanted
– Article Submission Procedures/Subject Editors Sought
– Glossary of Military Acronyms
– Hack Book Sales
Forwarded for your information.  The text and intent of the article
have to stand on their own merits.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material
for non-profit research and educational purposes only.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do
not believe simply because it has been handed down for many genera-
tions.  Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and
rumoured by many.  Do not believe in anything simply because it is
written in Holy Scriptures.  Do not believe in anything merely on
the authority of teachers, elders or wise men.  Believe only after
careful observation and analysis, when you find that it agrees with
reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all.
Then accept it and live up to it." The Buddha on Belief,
from the Kalama Sutra

http://archive.jab.org/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/
 <A HREF="http://archive.jab.org/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/">ctrl</A>