"Speaking of Republicans pushing for impeachment during a war with Iraq,
Democrat Charles Rangel said, "In times of war, anyone who conspires against
the commander in chief--. This comes a lot closer to the definition of high
crimes and misdemeanors than where the president's hands were in the Oval
Office.''
     "Our troops ``will be demoralized if we do stop this constitutional
process,'' added Democrat Duncan Hunter.

GOP Wants Impeachment Debate Friday

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Brushing aside sharp Democratic protests, Republicans
insisted on bringing articles of impeachment against President Clinton to the
House floor for a Friday debate despite the continuing campaign of U.S.
airstrikes against Iraq.

``We strongly object to this matter coming up tomorrow or the next day or any
day in which our young men and women in the military are in harm's way,''
complained Democratic leader Dick Gephardt.

``There's no way to know when the troops will have completed their mission,''
countered Rep. Bob Livingston, the Louisiana Republican in line to become
House speaker in January. ``We cannot refrain from advancing the people's
business on this critical issue.''

The clash on the House floor Thursday was a prelude to the first presidential
impeachment debate in 130 years -- a historic event suddenly made even more
remarkable by the military hostilities halfway around the world.

Clinton faces four articles of impeachment on perjury, obstruction of justice
and abuse of power, all stemming from his efforts to conceal a sexual
relationship with White House intern Monica Lewinsky.

The president's prospects for avoiding impeachment have faded dramatically in
recent days as a string of wavering GOP lawmakers announced plans to vote in
favor of sending his case to a Senate trial.

That drift continued during the day, as a handful of additional Republicans
said they would support impeachment, and a few Democrats lined up against.

Despite widespread predictions that impeachment would be approved, one
Democrat, Rep. Lee Hamilton, D-Ind., cautioned reporters, ``It's still a
dynamic situation. It's fluid.''

Many Democrats and a small number of Republicans have called for Clinton's
censure, and the president has virtually invited such an outcome for the
gravest crisis of his career. But majority Republicans refuse to allow a vote
on anything short of impeachment, saying it is up to the Senate to mete out a
punishment.

Majority Leader Trent Lott, R-Miss., also reaffirmed during the day that the
Senate would proceed to a trial if the House impeaches Clinton. ``We will go
to a trial and there won't be any deal making,'' he said on CNN.

An Associated Press survey showed 190 House members in support of impeachment,
184 opposed, and the balance either undecided or unwilling to disclose their
decisions.

``I'll let you know tomorrow,'' said Rep. Connie Morella, a Maryland
Republican who is among the ranks of uncommitted. ``I want to hear the
debate,'' said Rep. Jon Fox of Pennsylvania, who lost his seat in the November
election.

Rep. Paul McHale, D-Pa., told reporters he had made up his mind but wouldn't
disclose his decision because of the ongoing military campaign in Iraq.

Republicans grudgingly agreed on Wednesday night to a brief delay in
impeachment proceedings that had been set for Thursday. They did so after
Clinton went on television to announce the air campaign against Iraq. At the
same time, numerous lawmakers said they were deeply suspicious of Clinton's
timing, and promised to go ahead as soon as possible.

By midday Thursday, they had proposed a schedule for 16 hours of debate,
running past midnight Friday, to be followed by votes on Saturday on the four
articles of impeachment and a Democratic attempt to force a vote on censure.
Democrats scuttled that, citing the troops overseas.

Republicans then announced they would bring the issue to the floor under rules
that could provide for as little as one hour of debate on what many lawmakers
have cited as the most important issue of their careers. House Majority Leader
Dick Armey announced that talks with Democrats would continue in hopes of
finding agreement on a longer debate time.

At the White House, Clinton told reporters he didn't think proceedings on the
floor would undercut his ability to carry out the military mission.

``No, I think that, first of all, I'm going to complete this mission,'' he
replied -- in words that Armey later read on the House floor in response to
Gephardt's comments.

Lawmakers of both parties cited men and women in uniform to buttress their
points of view -- in unusually strong language.

Speaking of the Republicans' stance, Rep. Charles Rangel, D-N.Y., cited his
own service in Korea. ``In times of war, anyone who conspires against the
commander in chief, that comes a lost closer to high crimes and misdemeanors
than where the president's hands were at any given time in the Oval Office,''
he said.

Republicans mustered several lawmakers who served in Vietnam and other wars to
rebut.

Rep. Duke Cunningham, R-Calif., said that while he was serving in Vietnam,
what demoralized him was not Congress but Tom Hayden, Jane Fonda and ``the
anti-war protesters like Bill Clinton.''

The troops ``will be demoralized if we do stop this constitutional process,''
added Rep. Duncan Hunter, R-Calif.