Date: Fri, 10  Sep 2004 08:45:15 -0500
From: NewsMax.com <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Media Assault on Bush Collapses in Credibility Meltdown

To view this email as a web page, go to the link below, or copy and paste it into your
browser's address window.
http://cl.extm.us/?fe8b1d75706d057b74-fe3111717063047c721070

http://cl.extm.us/?fe8a1d75706d057b77-fe3111717063047c721070

Breaking News from NewsMax.com

Media Assault on Bush Collapses in Credibility Meltdown

In a stunning journalistic fiasco from which the mainstream press may never recover, a
full frontal attack by two out of the three major broadcast networks on President
Bush's reelection bid has collapsed amidst questions about forged documents and
fraudulent testimony.

CBS's Dan Rather's already shaky journalistic reputation was in tatters Friday
morning, after documents unearthed during his Wednesday night "60 Minutes II"
broadcast purporting to show a cover-up of Bush's National Guard record were called
probable forgeries by forensic experts.  [More below...]

http://cl.extm.us/?fe891d75706d057b76-fe3111717063047c721070

http://cl.extm.us/?fe881d75706d057b71-fe3111717063047c721070
Go Here Now.

Memos uncovered and touted by Rather's team appear to have been written in Microsoft
Word, the experts said - a computer program that did not exist at the time Bush was in
the Guard.

The same documents, purportedly authored by Bush Guard commander Jerry Killian, were
challenged by Killian's widow and son, who told reporters on Thursday that the
deceased National Guard commander would have never written such memos.

A second portion of Rather's "60 Minutes II" broadcast, featuring allegations against
Bush from former Texas Lieutenant Gov. Ben Barnes, was also discredited, when his
daughter Amy told a Texas radio station that who had changed his story to sell a book.

NBC News was also mired in a credibility crisis, as a spokeswoman for the network's
"Today Show" insisted it was going forward with its planned rollout of Kitty Kelley's
Bush bashing book, "The Family: The Real Story of the Bush Dynasty" - even though
Kelley's key witness against Bush has recanted her account that Bush used cocaine and
has accused Kelley of fabricating her interview.

"I categorically deny that I ever told Kitty Kelley that George W. Bush used cocaine
at Camp David or that I ever saw him use cocaine at Camp David," ex-Bush sister-in-law
Sharon Bush said in a statement issued Thursday.

Instead, the one-time Bush family insider insisted, "When Kitty Kelley raised drug use
at Camp David, I responded by saying something along the lines of, 'Who would say such
a thing?'"

Still, "Today Show" spokeswoman Lauren Kapps insisted that NBC producers had no plan
to cancel or even scale back Kelley's three day mega promotion on the program, touted
by the network as the crown jewel of morning TV.

"This was a very competitive interview that all the morning shows were after and, as
we do with all of our interview subjects, we'll review the material beforehand and ask
all the appropriate questions," Kapps said in a statement issued Thursday.

"This is astounding," one longtime media observer told NewsMax. "You have a major TV
network promoting a book with a major news story that has already been discredited. At
least in 1999, when St. Martin's Press found out their 'Bush used cocaine' book was
false, they had the decency to withdraw it from bookstores."

Please Note:

Support President Bush with a sense of humor - Check out our sponsor:
http://cl.extm.us/?fe871d75706d057b70-fe3111717063047c721070
Go Here Now.

TO ADVERTISE

For information on advertising at NewsMax.com, please contact
http://cl.extm.us/?fe861d75706d057b73-fe3111717063047c721070
Corrine McNurlin via e-mailor call 888-766-7542.

TO SUBSCRIBE

If this News Alert has been forwarded to you and you would like a subscription, please
visit:
http://cl.extm.us/?fe851d75706d057b72-fe3111717063047c721070
http://cl.extm.us/?fe841d75706d057b7d-fe3111717063047c721070
Sign up forNewsMaxe-mail alerts today!

 )

We respect your right to privacy - visit the following URL to view our policy.
( http://cl.extm.us/?fe8b1d75706d057a75-fe3111717063047c721070 )

www.ctrl.org