-Caveat Lector-

Begin forwarded message:

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: September 13, 2007 4:08:06 PM PDT
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Evil Eye of Newt, Seeing the Republican Party's Future: The WORLD-WAR Party

http://www.americanprogress.org/issues/2007/09/alterman_newt.html

David Brooks of The New York Times wrote earlier this summer that Gingrich “articulates the transformational view [of the Republican party] in its purest form” ... Jason Zengerle of The New Republic wrote about Joe Klein's desire for the GOP install Gingrich as the “party ideologist.”

But what exactly are Gingrichian ideas?

After leaving Congress, Gingrich spent his years out of power writing and working at [Neocon headquarters] the American Enterprise Institute. Flirting with (but apparently not consummating) the idea of a presidential campaign, he made statements such as:

“I am not ‘running’ for president. I am seeking to create a movement to win the future by offering a series of solutions so compelling that if the American people say I have to be president, it will happen.”

Newt’s brand of winning the future was revealed in explicit detail at an AEI speech this week ... Some of Newt’s plans included dealing with all the problem nations of the Middle East —Iraq, Iran, Syria, and Saudi Arabia— as a [single[ “regional conflict.”

“A grand strategy would confront [all] four nations [simultaneously] with a simple choice: change your behavior or have your regimes changed.”

Three more wars when we were doing so well in the two we appear to be losing.

And what of Pakistan? Why do they get off so easily?

On "Meet the Press," he noted, “If you take all the countries I just listed, put them on a map and look at all the [underground international] connectivity, you’d have to say, this is, in fact, World War III.”

www.ctrl.org