-Caveat Lector-

Yardbird wrote:

>  -Caveat Lector-
>
> On Mon, 10 May 1999, Mark McHugh wrote:
> > I remember reading a study back in the 80s about physical/psychological
> > reactions to colors.  Subjects were placed in rooms painted solidly with various
> > colors.  Pink stands out in my mind for some unknown reason.  It produces a
> > calming effect...for a short period of time.  After about 15 minutes of sitting
> > in the pink room, most subjects would be come agitated.
> >
> > Perhaps some other readers of the list have better information.  I haven't seen
> > this information since back then.
> >
> > --
> > Mark McHugh
>
> Really? I remember the study, unless there was more than one, in which
> pink was actually found to have a calming influence over time; especially
> in regards to prison populations. I'm not sure there were ever any
> experimental replications. Could be wrong on both accounts.

I also remember the study. I believe that the color pink was used in the
holding cell of a jail. This was an area where prisoners were kept when
they first were brought in while waiting to be processed. It was
observed that in most cases the prisoners were much less violent after a
short period in this particular cell. However, I believe I remember that
one prisoner was held there for several hours inadvertently (supposedly)
and was so effected by the color that he was trying to scrape the paint
off the walls.

My understanding of color would be that the red side of the spectrum is
stimulating and the blue side relaxing. However, it could be that the
color pink had just a small amount of the stimulation effect and acted
as a sedative in the same way that a small amount of drug stimulants
such as Ritalin can cause relaxation in people who are stressed. Long
exposure would cause one to cycle back into stimulation.

Howard Davis