-Caveat Lector-

Republican Smith Won't Rule Out U.S. Third Party Run
Updated 7:19 PM ET May 30, 1999
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. Senator Bob Smith, a long shot for the Republican
nomination for president, said Sunday he could support only a conservative
Republican ticket and did not rule out running as a third-party candidate.

Smith, of New Hampshire, holds one of the most conservative voting records in
the Senate. In a televised interview on NBC's "Meet the Press," the
second-term senator said "there's a lot of sentiment out there for a third
party."

"I was asked, if in fact there was a third party movement to come forth,
would I lead it, and I said I wouldn't rule it out. And I'm not ruling it
out."

Asked if there were some Republican aspirants he could not support as the
Republican nominee, Smith said, "I am not going to support a candidate who is
not pro-life and I'm not going to support a ticket that has somebody on the
ticket that is not pro-life, that's not for the Second Amendment, that's not
for a strong military."

The Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, often cited in debate over
federal gun control, says, "A well-regulated militia being necessary to the
security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall
not be infringed."

Recent public opinion polls have shown Smith with only a sliver of support.
"Our campaign is moving. I'm not worried about polls," Smith said.

A former teacher and real estate agent, Smith, 57, served three terms in the
House before election to the Senate in 1990. He sponsored an unsuccessful
proposal last week in the Senate to restrict U.S. military operation in
Kosovo unless they were approved by Congress.

**COPYRIGHT NOTICE** In accordance with Title 17 U. S. C. Section 107,
in receiving the included information for nonprofit research and
educational purposes only.[Ref.
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml ]