-Caveat Lector-

>From www.secularhumanism.org

> <Picture>
>
> God, Science, and Delusion
>
> A Chat With Arthur C. Clarke
>
> by Matt Cherry

> --
>

> The following article is from Free Inquiry magazine, Volume 19, Number
> 2.

> --
>

> Arthur C. Clarke is known across the world for his books, television
> programs, and movies. Free Inquiry Deputy Editor Matt Cherry visited
> the science fiction author, who is a member of the International
> Academy of Humanism, in Sri Lanka, the beautiful tropical island that
> has been Clarke's home for nearly four decades. His house, in the
> capitol of Columbo, is filled with spectacular wall-sized NASA photos,
> reminiscent of some of the shots in his film 2001: A Space Odyssey. In
> the personal study where he was interviewed, Clarke was surrounded by
> books and signed photos-ranging from actress Elizabeth Taylor to
> astronaut Buzz Aldrin-that reflect Clarke's prominent roles in the
> very different worlds of science and entertainment. He talked to Free
> Inquiry about mankind, morality, and religion.

> --
>

> Free Inquiry: This is a rare opportunity. Thanks for talking with us.
>
> Arthur C. Clarke: Rare indeed. My agent will probably shoot me for
> granting this interview. I turn down interviews all the time, but for
> Free Inquiry, I'm happy to make an exception.
>
> FI: Our readers have some familiarity with your views and in
> particular your very strong emphasis on the use of science in
> understanding the natural world. But could you say something about
> your views on moral issues?
>
> Clarke: One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has
> been hijacked by religion. So now people assume that religion and
> morality have a necessary connection. But the basis of morality is
> really very simple and doesn't require religion at all. It's this:
> "Don't do unto anybody else what you wouldn't like to be done to you."
> It seems to me that that's all there is to it.
>
> The other issue is, why can't humans live up to this principle? Why is
> it that people can't act as human beings should? I'm appalled by what
> we all see on the news every day-massacres, atrocities, injustices,
> outrages of all kinds. When I see what's happening, I sometimes wonder
> if the human race deserves to survive.
>
> FI: In recent years a lot of ethical issues have arisen from advances
> in technology, as they have, for example, in cloning.
>
> Clarke: Yes, and such issues will continue to arise at an increasing
> pace. They will challenge all of us - but especially those who hold
> rigid moral outlooks like those found in most religions.
>
> By the way, I was - in a strange way - involved in a cloning project.
> There was a project afoot to send me into outer space along with a lot
> of other people. Not the whole me, though - just a hair from my head,
> [...]

A<>E<>R
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The only real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking
new landscapes but in having new eyes. -Marcel Proust
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
A merely fallen enemy may rise again, but the reconciled
one is truly vanquished. -Johann Christoph Schiller,
                                       German Writer (1759-1805)
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that
prevents us from living freely and nobly. -Bertrand Russell
"Everyone has the right...to seek, receive and impart
information and ideas through any media and regardless
of frontiers."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights
Forwarded as information only; no endorsement to be presumed
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material
for non-profit research and educational purposes only.