-Caveat Lector-

>From WorldTribune
> U.S. balks at arming Iraqi opposition
> SPECIAL TO WORLD TRIBUNE.COM
>
> Friday, June 25, 1999
>
> WASHINGTON [MENL] -- As Saddam Hussein has reportedly authorized the
> assassinations of U.S.-backed opposition forces, the United States
> maintains that such opponents of the Iraqi ruler are not ready to be
> armed.
>
> Elizabeth Jones, deputy U.S. assistant secretary of state for Near
> Eastern affairs, termed as "premature" calls to arm the Iraqi
> opposition. She said the administration is supplying such help as
> broadcast and other communications devices as part of the $97 million
> in aid approved in October 1998.
>
> "There are a host of issues that must be resolved before we can have
> confidence that providing arms to the Iraqi opposition would advance
> our objectives of promoting a change of regime and not just lead to
> more Iraqis being killed unnecessarily," Ms. Jones said in a Wednesday
> hearing to the Senate Foreign Relations' subcommittee on Near Eastern
> and South Asian Affairs. "One requirement is a credible, broad-based,
> Iraqi political umbrella movement that can authoritatively articulate
> a future vision for those Iraqis who now lack a voice in their own
> fate."
>
> Ms. Jones said Washington has detected "a serious hesitancy among the
> people of Iraq" to participate in a revolution. She cited the fear of
> reprisals by Saddam's regime.
>
> Congressional leaders want to increase the pace of U.S. assistance to
> Iraqi opposition groups in an intensified effort to oust Saddam. "We
> need to get moving," said subcommittee Chairman Sam Brownback, a
> Republican from Kansas. "I don't want Saddam to outlast another
> American president."
>
> Brownback said Iraqi opposition leaders are unifying. Over the last
> month, both Iraqi opposition leaders as well as Kurdish leaders from
> northern Iraq have met in Washington with U.S. administration
> officials and congressional leaders.
>
> Ahmed Chalabi, the Washington representative of the Iraqi National
> Congress, a London-based umbrella group for the Iraqi opposition,
> agreed with Brownback.
>
> "It is time for bold action," Chalabi said. "The Iraq National
> Congress calls upon the United States and its allies to recognize what
> is already fact: that the United States and its allies are at war with
> Saddam's regime. Last summer, it was proven that Saddam had ballistic
> missile warheads loaded with deadly VX -- nerve gas -- an active
> biological weapons program, and the potential for nuclear weapons in
> less than a year."
>
> "In addition, over a thousand political prisoners have been executed
> in the so-called prison-cleansing campaign," Chalabi said. "Iraqis are
> dying now. It is not useful to say that any further, more aggressive
> moves against Saddam would get Iraqis killed, because Saddam is
> killing Iraqis now."

> [...]

A<>E<>R
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The only real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking
new landscapes but in having new eyes. -Marcel Proust
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
A merely fallen enemy may rise again, but the reconciled
one is truly vanquished. -Johann Christoph Schiller,
                                       German Writer (1759-1805)
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that
prevents us from living freely and nobly. -Bertrand Russell
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
"Everyone has the right...to seek, receive and impart
information and ideas through any media and regardless
of frontiers."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will
teach you to keep your mouth shut."
--- Ernest Hemingway
Forwarded as information only; no endorsement to be presumed
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material
for non-profit research and educational purposes only.