-Caveat Lector-

Via NewRepublic

> Kosovo no War, no
>

> Foreign Affairs News Keywords: KOSOVO,
> Source: Anchorage Daily News
> Published: July 2, 1999 Author: George C. Wilson
> Posted on 07/12/1999 18:19:25 PDT by rollin
>

> Anchorage Daily News
>
> July 2, 1999
>

> No War, No Lessons After Kosovo, Stevens Says By George C.
> Wilson, Legi-Slate News Service
>
> Washington -- There are no military lessons to be learned from
> NATO's bombing campaign against Yugoslav President Slobodan
> Milosevic because it was not a war at all, Senate Appropriations
> Committee Chairman Ted Stevens, R-Alaska, said Thursday.
>
> The World War II bomber pilot told defense reporters over
> breakfast that "we never had an engagement" with the Yugoslav
> military. "They never came to war with us," Stevens said. "We
> just bombed the hell out of them until they signed an agreement.
>
> "We had 780 million people (in the NATO alliance) attacking 20
> million people, and they finally came to their knees after (NAT0
> forces) bombed for four months. What's the precedent out of that?
> There's no precedent out of that. I don't see it having any
> relationship to the ability of the Army on the ground in a war.
>
> "We never fought anybody there" in the Balkans over Kosovo, "not
> even their planes," he said. "This was just a bombing campaign
> until we bombed them into submission. And I guess if you can find
> another country that was located like Serbia was -- where it was
> completely surrounded by people friendly to us -- where we had
> free access to it all the time, I guess we could bomb anyone into
> submission if you wanted to take on that task.
>
> "But defeating 20 million people the way we defeated them,"
> Stevens continued, "I don't think that's something we should go
> around holding our head high in the air (about) and saying we're
> superior" because "we ended the war by the air. The war never
> started.
>
> "I think it's an anomaly," Stevens said of the air war against
> Milosevic. "I don't think it's a lesson at all."
>
> Stevens' remarks came against a backdrop of postwar audits by Air
> Force generals who have emphasized in recent closed-door
> meetings, that their bombing campaign, while highly professional,
> was no cause for gloating, participants told LEGI-SLATE News
> Service. The bombing wore out air crews and aircraft and used up
> the inventory of smart weapons that will cost billions to
> replenish, the generals said.
>
> The strain of the Kosovo bombing campaign has compelled Air Force
> leaders to focus on what they call "reconstitution" -- curing the
> downsized service of ills inflicted by such sudden and intense
> deployments as those to the Balkans.
>
> One ill is the stress imposed on Air Force families whose
> unhappiness often prompts airmen to quit the service. The Air
> Force is now critically short of pilots and is looking for
> additional ways to stem the exodus.

> [...]

A<>E<>R
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The only real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking
new landscapes but in having new eyes. -Marcel Proust
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said
it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your
own reason and your common sense." --Buddha
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
A merely fallen enemy may rise again, but the reconciled
one is truly vanquished. -Johann Christoph Schiller,
                                       German Writer (1759-1805)
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that
prevents us from living freely and nobly. -Bertrand Russell
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
"Everyone has the right...to seek, receive and impart
information and ideas through any media and regardless
of frontiers."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will
teach you to keep your mouth shut."
--- Ernest Hemingway
Forwarded as information only; no endorsement to be presumed
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material
for non-profit research and educational purposes only.