The Week Online with DRCNet, Issue #99 -- July 16, 1999
   A Publication of the Drug Reform Coordination Network

        -------- PLEASE COPY AND DISTRIBUTE --------

(To sign off this list, mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] with the
 line "signoff drc-natl" in the body of the message, or
 mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] for assistance.  To subscribe to
 this list, visit <http://www.drcnet.org/signup.html>.)

This issue can be also be read on our web site at
<http://www.drcnet.org/wol/099.html>.

================

Stay tuned for the 100th issue of the Week Online, next
week!  Please help to support this work with a donation --
See http://www.drcnet.org/drcreg.html for details.
Contributions to the Drug Reform Coordination Network are
not tax-deductible.

TABLE OF CONTENTS

1. House Subcommittee Holds Second Hearing Attacking Drug
   Policy Reform
   http://www.drcnet.org/wol/099.html#secondhearing

2. U.K. National Health Service May Expand Heroin
   Prescription
   http://www.drcnet.org/wol/099.html#ukheroin

3. Kids On Texas Border Using More Cocaine
   http://www.drcnet.org/wol/099.html#texasborder

4. Governor Balks as Medical Marijuana Task Force
   Recommendations Move Forward in California Senate
   http://www.drcnet.org/wol/099.html#davisbalks

5. News in Brief
   http://www.drcnet.org/wol/099.html#newsbriefs

6. Media Alert:  New York Premiere of "You Know What I'm
   Saying?"
   http://www.drcnet.org/wol/099html#saywhat

7. EDITORIAL:  A Drug War Suppressant
   http://www.drcnet.org/wol/099.html#editorial

================

1. House Subcommittee Holds Second Hearing Attacking Drug
   Policy Reform

Scott Ehlers, Drug Policy Foundation, [EMAIL PROTECTED],
http://www.dpf.org

The House Subcommittee on Criminal Justice, Drug Policy, and
Human Resources held its second hearing on the drug policy
reform movement on Tuesday (7/13), continuing its assault on
virtually all variations of reform.  Although this hearing,
"The Decriminalization of Drugs," was not as vicious as the
first (see link to WOL story, below), it was nonetheless
stacked against reformers.  Keith Stroup served as the only
advocate for a de-escalation of the drug war, and both
Democrats and Republicans were beating the drug war drum
with equal fervor.

The hearing started with testimony from the former
Administrator of the DEA, Thomas Constantine, who began his
statement with the classic government falsehood that "harm
reduction is a euphemism for drug legalization," and that
the drug policy reform movement is only interested in making
drugs more available to children and the poor.  Baltimore
mayor Kurt Schmoke was criticized for his drug policy reform
views, which, according to Constantine, were to blame for
Baltimore's high incidence of heroin use.  When Rep. Sam
Johnson (R-TX) suggested that the United States hasn't
really fought a war on drugs, Constantine agreed, saying
that U.S. citizens haven't made enough sacrifices to create
a drug-free society.

The second panel was the most interesting.  Keith Stroup,
executive director of NORML, Robert MacCoun, a professor and
consultant to RAND's Drug Policy Reseach Center, Sandra
Bennett, president of Drug Watch International, and Bruce
Glasscock, chief of police in Plano, Texas each testified.
Stroup began his statement by laying out NORML's policy
position, namely that all penalties for the private
possession of marijuana by adults should be eliminated, that
regulation of the marijuana market should be instituted,
with the caveats marijuana should not be used by children,
and should only be used in a responsible manner by adults.
Stroup made a good case for marijuana decriminalization
based on the fact that studies show that marijuana and hard
drug use did not increase in those 11 states where marijuana
has been decriminalized, and that criminalization is
excessively harmful and costly.  One message that Stroup
reiterated was that the vast majority of "marijuana smokers
are otherwise law-abiding citizens who work hard, raise
families and contribute to their communities... Arresting
and jailing responsible marijuana smokers is a
misapplication of the criminal sanction which undermines
respect for the law in general."

Professor Robert MacCoun's testimony was one of the best-
informed, as it consisted of a review of research he and
others had conducted on the effects of marijuana
decriminalization in the United States and in countries such
as the Netherlands and Australia.  According to the
available research, little or no increase in marijuana or
other drug use has been shown under decriminalization, nor
have adolescent attitudes changed as a result.  It was noted
that the Netherlands saw a significant increase in marijuana
use among 18 to 20 year-olds between 1984 and 1992, a time
in which the number of coffeeshops selling cannabis in
Amsterdam increased tenfold.  However, Dutch heroin and
cocaine use have not increased, and crime rates have not
increased because of the policy.  In fact, it appears that
fewer Dutch cannabis users go on to use cocaine, possibly
because the quasi-legal cannabis market is separated from
the illicit hard drug market.

Sandra Bennett of Drug Watch International gave one of the
most emotionally charged testimonies, which is
understandable given that her son died of heart failure,
possibly as a result of cocaine use.  She referred to
advocates for reform as "scofflaws" and "pro-drug
advocates," and accused them of filling the Internet with
"deceptive and dangerous rhetoric."  According to Bennett,
the nation's universities are to blame for our drug problems
because of their "permissive campus drug environment" and
because "pro-drug advocates are allowed to operate [there]
with impunity."  She also believes the "media and our
educational institutions are rife with harm reduction
propaganda."  How will the conspiracy to legalize drugs be
accomplished?  In Bennett's view, "the pro-drug lobby has
cut up its agenda into a dozen smaller packages and is busy
trying to dupe the public into accepting the whole pie, one
bite at a time."

None of the final panelists espoused conspiracy theories,
but many were strong advocates for coerced treatment and the
need for harsh sentencing statutes to be used as an
incentive in the treatment process.  Charles Hynes, the
District Attorney for Kings County, New York, described the
Drug Treatment Alternative-to-Prison Program (DTAP) he runs,
which serves as a diversion program for addicts who commit
non-violent crimes to support their habit.  The program has
been in effect since late 1990, and has shown promising
results in terms of reducing recidivism, reducing criminal
justice costs, and increasing employment.

Katherine Lapp, Director of Criminal Justice in New York
State, sought to make the case that the Rockefeller Drug
Laws are not unjust and that people in New York State prison
belong there "because of their repeated criminal behavior."

Finally, Barbara Broderick, the State Director of Adult
Probation in Arizona, presented the preliminary results of
research on the effects of Proposition 200, the Arizona Drug
Medicalization, Prevention and Control Act.  The law
requires that persons convicted of a first and second drug
possession charge must receive treatment rather than jail
time.  Prop. 200 created the Drug Treatment and Education
Fund (DTEF), which distributes money generated by alcohol
taxes to probation-based treatment, as well as to the
Arizona Parents Commission on Drug Education and Prevention.
According to Ms. Broderick, $3.1 million went to probation-
based treatment programs in the first year, with 2,600
additional treatment slots being created.  Three of five
probationers successfully completed treatment, with
treatment costing half as much as incarceration.

While the hearing did not get much coverage in the press,
Chairman Mica (R-FL) seems intent on continuing with the
charade of having an "open debate" on drug policy.  Stay
tuned for another "debate" later this month, which is
scheduled to focus on medicinal marijuana.

(Scott Ehlers, a Senior Policy Analyst for the Drug Policy
Foundation (http://www.dpf.org), testified last month at the
first subcommittee hearing.  A report can be read online at
<http://www.drcnet.org/wol/095.html#slanderandthreats>,
including links to testimony by Ehlers and others.  Ehlers
is speaking next Thursday on the topic of international drug
policy alternatives, as part of the Institute for Policy
Studies brown bag lunch drug policy video and speaker
series, 733 15th St., NW, Suite 1029, Washington, DC, noon.
Call (202) 234-9382 for information, or visit
http://www.drcnet.org/wol/096.html#videoseries for the full
summer listing.)

================

2. U.K. National Health Service May Expand Heroin
   Prescription

Taylor West, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Britain's National Health Service (NHS) is considering
expanding the prescription of injectable, pharmaceutical
heroin to severely addicted users.  The plan would encourage
qualified and certified doctors to prescribe diamorphine to
addicts for whom methadone treatment have failed.

Recent research from the National Addiction Centre in London
shows that some drug users whose addictions do not respond
to orally-administered methadone are able to stabilize their
addictions -- and their lives -- on a carefully managed
injection diamorphine program.  Currently, methadone
accounts for 96 percent of all opiate prescriptions for
treating drug dependency in the UK.  While British doctors
have long been allowed to prescribe injectable heroin, it
accounts for less than two percent of the total number of
prescriptions for opiates.

The NHS proposal would encourage qualified doctors to apply
for diamorphine prescription licenses.  This license would
allow a doctor to prescribe heroin as part of a drug
addict's treatment if the doctor's clinical judgment deems
it appropriate and support services are available.
Estimates from local drug organizations indicate that
approximately 20,000 severely addicted drug users could
benefit from the treatment if the proposal is adopted.

For more on heroin and methadone maintenance, check out The
Lindesmith Center's online collection of articles and
research on heroin and methadone maintenance:

http://www.lindesmith.org/library/heroinmain_index2.html
http://www.lindesmith.org/library/methadone_index2.html

================

3. Kids On Texas Border Using More Cocaine

The Orange County Register (7/10) reports that high school
students living along the Texas-Mexico border are more
likely to have tried cocaine than their cohorts in other
parts of the state.  Overall, cocaine use by Texas secondary
school students has increased by 40% since 1988.

Al Robison of the Drug Policy Forum of Texas told The Week
Online that the troubling news can be attributed to the drug
war.

"The border is awash in drugs.  You'd have to be blind not
to see that" Robison said.  "Why is cocaine so easily
accessible near the border -- even more so than other parts
of the country?  Why are there no enforceable age
restrictions on who can buy it?  Why are we talking, once
again, about drug use increasing among teenagers in Texas
despite the fact that the state incarcerates so many people
for drugs?  One word.  Prohibition."

The Drug Policy Forum of Texas can be found on the web at
<http://www.mapinc.org/DPFT/>.

================

4. Governor Balks as Medical Marijuana Task Force
   Recommendations Move Forward in California Senate

(from the NORML Foundation, http://www.norml.org)

July 15, 1999, Sacramento, CA:  Governor Gray Davis' office
announced yesterday that he opposes recommendations made by
the "Attorney General's Task Force on Medical Marijuana,"
and would likely veto Senate legislation that seeks to
implement them.

The 30-member task force of police, prosecutors, and medical
marijuana advocates, which convened this spring under the
direction of Attorney General Bill Lockyer, recommended the
establishment of a voluntary state-run registry that would
issue ID cards to qualified patients and caregivers.
Persons legally possessing the cards would be immune from
arrest under state law for the possession, transportation,
delivery, or cultivation of medical marijuana.  The task
force also endorsed allowing "qualified persons to
collectively or cooperatively cultivate [medical]
marijuana."

Senator John Vasconcellos introduced legislation last week
to implement the committee's recommendations.  The Assembly
Health Committee passed the measure, S.B. 848, Tuesday by a
9 to 3 vote.  Davis' office announced his opposition
following the Health Committee's action.  Vasconcellos
called the governor's response offensive.  "This defies
anything I've seen in 30 years," he said.  "I thought the
people of California elected the governor, not Barry
McCaffrey."  The San Francisco Chronicle reported that Davis
has previously argued that elected officials should respect
the will of the voters when they approve initiatives.

================

5. News in Brief

Jane Tseng, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Hawaii Governor Signs Hemp Bill

Last Wednesday (7/7), Hawaii Governor Ben Cayetano signed a
measure that will seek federal approval to establish an
experimental plot of hemp on the island of Hawaii.  Upon the
measure's signing, the Los Angeles-based Alterna Applied
Research Laboratories, which produces hemp-based consumer
products, gave the state a $200,000 grant to pay for the
quarter-acre plot on state-owned land.  Before any hemp
seeds can be planted, however, the laboratory must first
obtain a permit from the DEA, which has not issued such a
permit in four decades.  Cayetano said the measure
demonstrates his administration's support for finding
different ways to diversify the state's economy.  Opponents
of the measure argue that the measure sends a message to the
Hawaii's youth that the state is softening its stand against
illegal drugs.

Iowa's Proportion of Blacks Behind Bars Second Only to D.C.

The Des Moines Register has reported that 1 in 12 African
Americans in Iowa is incarcerated, on parole or on
probation.  The ratio for whites is 1 in 110.  Experts say
disparities in sentencing for crack versus powder cocaine
are partly to blame, and even the local U.S. Attorney, Don
Nickerson, isn't pulling any punches.  "Some people will
argue at that point that the decision [to impose harsher
sentences for crack cocaine] was discriminatory," Nickerson
told the Register.  "I don't know if it was.  But I can
definitely say it had the effect of being discriminatory."

================

6. Media Alert:  New York Premiere of "You Know What I'm
   Saying?"

New York City area readers won't want to miss the New York
premiere of "You Know What I'm Saying?" on Friday, July 16
at 10:30pm on Channel 13/WNET (rebroadcast Sunday, July 18
at 12:30am).

Directed and produced by Emily Fisher and Frizzi Maniglio,
"You Know What I'm Saying?" is a poignant, hard-hitting
half-hour documentary about needle exchange, chronicling a
community in the South Bronx fighting to survive drug abuse,
the spread of AIDS, and the hostility of a larger society in
the midst of the drug war.  By telling the story of one
community's fight for life, "You Know What I'm Saying?,"
which features the St. Ann's Corner of Harm Reduction needle
exchange program, challenges viewers to rethink the
consequences of punitive national and local drug policies,
indicting those who favor cramming jails over saving lives.

"You Know What I'm Saying?" is being presented as part of
Thirteen/WNET's independent film and video series, "Reel New
York."  The film series has a companion web site,
<http://www.wnet.org/reelnewyork/>, including video clips,
interviews, and other resources.

================

7. EDITORIAL:  A Drug War Suppressant

Adam J. Smith, Associate Director, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

A front page story in the Dallas Morning News this week
indicates that teens in Texas are increasingly turning to a
new, legal high: cough medicine.  Dextromethorphan, an
active ingredient in more than 140 over-the-counter
remedies, gives users a dissociative, trip-like high when
taken at dosages far above recommended levels.  The story,
which highlights the fact that parents are largely ignorant
of the trend, inadvertently points to the folly of the drug
war as a whole.

"There's been a real upswing (in teen use)," a DEA agent is
quoted as saying.  But, he adds, since the substance is
legal to buy, sell or possess, "this is out of our realm."

Several years ago, when the problem first came to the
attention of the pharmaceutical industry, Whitehall-Robins,
maker of Robitussin cough syrup, considered running an ad
campaign warning of potential misuse of the product.  But
Bob D'Alessandro, an independent substance abuse consultant
advised against it, reasoning that with the majority of
American teens unaware that they could get high off of cough
medicine, such a campaign would only raise the popularity of
the practice.

The growing trend raises a very important question, one that
should be answered before we spend another red cent on
interdiction, enforcement or incarceration in the war on the
traffickers and users of cocaine, heroin or marijuana.  That
is:  If we could stop all illegal drugs from entering the
country, would we accomplish anything at all in our crusade
to create a "drug free" society?

Drugs don't have to be illegal to get you high.  And they
don't even have to be "drugs," strictly speaking.  Gasoline,
spray paint, household products and even some air fresheners
will do the trick, as will a whole host of fauna indigenous
to North America.  And every day, in labs both licit and
illicit, chemists are producing new substances to alter
brain functions.  Some of these substances will be safer
than currently popular drugs, and some will be less so.  The
bottom line however, is that even if we could eliminate the
big three from the face of the earth, the only difference
that it would make is to trade one type of high for another.
Or another.  Or another.

Fortunately for the kids in Texas, and for kids in other
parts of the country who are using dextromethorphan, or
"DMX" as it's often called, the substance is not physically
addictive and is unlikely to cause serious harms or death.
Less fortunate is the fact that DMX is potentially deadly
when taken in combination with other widely used drugs such
as antidepressants and non-drowsy allergy medications.  Kids
who are using DMX are unlikely to have that information, and
under our current "drug education" paradigm, are unlikely to
think to even ask.

Perhaps we're going about this all wrong.  Perhaps it is
impossible to keep "drugs" away from kids.  Maybe what we
ought to be doing is supervising our younger kids more
closely, regulating the most popular and most potentially
dangerous substances to make it harder for kids to gain
access to them, and providing our teens a with a full
understanding and a healthy respect for the risks involved
in altering their brain chemistry.  Especially with
substances whose chemical effects are unknown to them.  Such
an education, grounded in a far more comprehensive
philosophy of health than the current "drugs are bad" model,
would protect teens from the unintended consequences that so
often accompany drug use, while demystifying the act of
getting high and reducing its allure.

As things stand now, we are spending billions upon billions
of tax dollars in a failing attempt to keep a very small
subset of recreationally-used substances off of our streets.
This approach ignores both the impossibility of that mission
and the fact that even if we somehow succeeded, it is
unlikely that the impact would be other than cosmetic.  Even
in an age of easy access to prohibited substances, our kids
are finding alternative modes of intoxication.  Like the
caps on the cough syrup our kids are now slugging down, the
drug war, it seems, is far from child-proof.

DRCNet needs your support!  Donations can be sent to 2000 P
St., NW, Suite 615, Washington, DC 20036, or made by credit
card at <http://www.drcnetorg/drcreg.html>.  Donations to
the Drug Reform Coordination Network are not tax-deductible.
Deductible contributions supporting our educational work can
be made by check to the DRCNet Foundation, a 501(c)(3) tax-
exempt organization, same address.

PERMISSION to reprint or redistribute any or all of the
contents of The Week Online is hereby granted.  We ask that
any use of these materials include proper credit and, where
appropriate, a link to one or more of our web sites.  If
your publication customarily pays for publication, DRCNet
requests checks payable to the organization.  If your
publication does not pay for materials, you are free to use
the materials gratis.  In all cases, we request notification
for our records, including physical copies where material
has appeared in print.  Contact: Drug Reform Coordination
Network, 2000 P St., NW, Suite 615, Washington, DC 20036,
(202) 293-8340 (voice), (202) 293-8344 (fax), e-mail
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  Thank you.

Articles of a purely educational nature in The Week Online
appear courtesy of the DRCNet Foundation, unless otherwise
noted.

  DRCNet DRCNet DRCNet DRCNet DRCNet DRCNet DRCNet DRCNet

JOIN/MAKE A DONATION    http://www.drcnet.org/drcreg.html
SUBSCRIBE TO THIS LIST  http://www.drcnet.org/signup.html
DRUG POLICY LIBRARY     http://www.druglibrary.org/
DRCNET HOME PAGE        http://www.drcnet.org/