-Caveat Lector-

> Gangs create terror zones at Russia-Chechnya border
>
> By David Filipov, Globe Staff, 07/28/99
>

> <Picture>ALYUGAYEVSKAYA, Russia - The last thing Lidiya Semyonova
> and her friends probably felt was the way their relief abruptly
> turned to terror.
>

> They were strolling back to their homes in this small, dusty
> border village late one night when a Russian police patrol
> offered to escort them. Here in the violent badlands that
> separate Russia and breakaway Chechnya, a little armed protection
> is never a bad idea.
>

> Only this time it was not enough. Sometime after midnight, gunmen
> opened fire from close range on the officers' jeep, riddling it
> with machine-gun bullets and rocket-propelled grenades.
> Semyonova, 24, three other young women, and two police officers
> died instantly. Two others were seriously wounded. The gunmen
> gathered the Russians' weapons and disappeared into the woods
> that mark the border with Chechnya.
>

> That attack last week - unexplained and senseless - was typical
> of the wave of bloodshed that has left dozens dead and hundreds
> missing, turning the territory surrounding the separatist North
> Caucasus republic into a virtual war zone.
>

> Russia lost control over Chechnya in 1996, when its troops were
> forced to withdraw after two years of fighting with rebels that
> killed 80,000 people by most estimates. Now, with the recent
> events on the Chechen border, Moscow is having trouble protecting
> its own territory.
>

> Armed gangs operating around Chechnya have already turned the
> border regions of Stavropol, Dagestan, and Ingushetia into zones
> of terror, where murder is common, hostage-taking for ransom is a
> daily event, and cattle-rustling and car theft are no longer
> looked upon as serious crimes.
>

> ''We demand Moscow's help with the border,'' said Yuri Samarkin,
> deputy head of the local administration, about Galyugayevskaya.
> ''But it's only getting worse.''
>

> In the last three months, the gangs have grown bolder, launching
> full-scale military attacks on the undermanned, poorly equipped,
> and woefully few Russian police checkpoints set up along the
> border. The shooting near Galyugayevskaya was followed by two
> more deadly attacks the next day, once again by unseen gunmen
> against Russian police patrols. This time, two Russian commanders
> were killed and seven police wounded.
>

> ''Officially, there's not supposed to be a war on, but the
> killing hasn't stopped and we find corpses every couple of
> days,'' said Sergeant Yevgeny Tkachenko, 23, as he and two
> comrades patrolled the sand dunes that span the unmarked border
> between the Stavropol region and Chechnya.
>

> The other day he came across the bodies of two fellow police who
> had been shot in an ambush, again at close range. The gunmen took
> the jeep and fled to Chechnya.
>

> Officially, Tkachenko and his men are just police officers
> patrolling their own Russian territory in the border town of
> [...]

A<>E<>R
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The only real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking
new landscapes but in having new eyes. -Marcel Proust
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said
it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your
own reason and your common sense." --Buddha
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
A merely fallen enemy may rise again, but the reconciled
one is truly vanquished. -Johann Christoph Schiller,
                                       German Writer (1759-1805)
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that
prevents us from living freely and nobly. -Bertrand Russell
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
"Everyone has the right...to seek, receive and impart
information and ideas through any media and regardless
of frontiers."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will
teach you to keep your mouth shut."
--- Ernest Hemingway
Forwarded as information only; no endorsement to be presumed
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material
for non-profit research and educational purposes only.