-Caveat Lector-

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> [...]

> "That vacuum is being filled by organised crime. Albanian gangs
> are inviting Kosovo Serbs to leave their apartments. Now Kosovo
> Albanians are being invited to leave."
>
> Because so many Kosovo Albanians had identity documents and
> licence plates seized by Serb forces, and because there are now
> no border controls, many gangs are moving in unhampered by the
> 37,000 K-For soldiers.
>
> While the UN plans to deploy 3,125 international police, only 400
> have arrived. The police commander has decided not to put troops
> into active service until he has enough to patrol entire areas.
> Currently, the commander says, his most urgent need is for border
> police to keep out more gangs and smugglers.
>
> The German K-For commander, General Fritz von Korff, said his
> soldiers stop cars to search for weapons and frequently come
> across smuggled items, such as massive amounts of cigarettes,
> particularly at the Morina-Kukes border crossing. But Nato's
> mandate does not permit his soldiers to confiscate any item
> except weapons, and the smugglers are permitted into Kosovo with
> their loot if it is believed they are from the province.
>
> One of the biggest problems involves gangs showing up at homes to
> claim ownership and threatening to beat those who refuse to move
> out.
>
> No statistics are available on the number of property seizures,
> but anecdotal evidence suggests a growing problem. And, while
> initially it seemed that seizures were ethnically motivated, and
> targeted at Kosovo Serbs in the capital Pristina, increasingly
> Kosovo Albanians are victims as well.
>
> Kosovo's provisional prime minister, KLA leader Hashim Thaci, 31,
> denied his organisation was behind seizures of Kosovo Serb
> apartments. "We have no such information. We know there are those
> who have left Kosovo, but we have not forced anybody to leave, or
> put pressure on them to leave. That is propaganda. Any one who
> has not committed crimes is free to live in Kosovo."
>
> According to a UN police commander, who asked not to be
> identified, intelligence suggests there are three main types of
> organised criminal gangs in Kosovo: Russian, Albanian, and those
> linked to the KLA. Some analysts suggest that the seized
> apartments and other looted goods are the KLA's way of paying
> debts to arms procurers, funders and important soldiers and their
> relatives.
>
> UN officials deny the organisation's slowness is responsible for
> Kosovo's growing crime problem. One senior UN commander said,
> unlike K-For, which has been preparing for a Kosovo mission since
> February, the UN wasn't told it was to take over civilian
> operations in Kosovo until June.
>
> An American involved in the international police force warned
> that by the time the UN police are deployed, criminal gangs will
> already have their networks set up, and will be as much a menace
> for Kosovo's Albanian population as they are for the Serbs.

A<>E<>R
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The only real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking
new landscapes but in having new eyes. -Marcel Proust
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said
it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your
own reason and your common sense." --Buddha
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
A merely fallen enemy may rise again, but the reconciled
one is truly vanquished. -Johann Christoph Schiller,
                                       German Writer (1759-1805)
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that
prevents us from living freely and nobly. -Bertrand Russell
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
"Everyone has the right...to seek, receive and impart
information and ideas through any media and regardless
of frontiers."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will
teach you to keep your mouth shut."
--- Ernest Hemingway
Forwarded as information only; no endorsement to be presumed
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material
for non-profit research and educational purposes only.