-Caveat Lector-

In a message dated 08/04/1999 7:19:49 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< Has the Colombian government and military ever been "on the side" of the
Colombian
 people? At the risk of sounding hopelessly naive, I have thought, for the
longest time,
 that drugs were the main product and export of Colombia, Juan Valdez
notwithstanding. >>

I doubt, Owl, that any South American government and military has ever been
"on the side" of its people.  And our School of the Americas, while teaching
the South American governments  how to rape, pillage and torture, seems to
have decided not to waste this chance to learn from them as well.  We
apparently already are experts in rape, pillage and torture, but for most of
our history, our government was on the side of our people.  Guess we can
forget about that.

It is interesting.  We seem to have American military all over South and
Central America.  It's been going on for years, and since it's illegal for
them to be there in most instances, it's also been kept very quiet.  Ah yes,
that poor underfunded Pentagon, but somehow they always have money for their
lesser known activities.  Prudy