-Caveat Lector-

On Wed, 18 Aug 1999, Bill wrote:
>legal schmegal its all a paper game perpertrated to enslave
>us.....thats all...nothing honorable about it or good, it
>ain't nothing but a show, nothing but a show...for profit of
>course...B

No argument there...but we, the people, STILL have the right to know if
our candidates for office have broken standing laws...and then to make up
our minds whether we feel such flagrant disregard for the laws of the
land is 'honorable' or not...

For the record, I feel drugs should be decriminalized...but that doesn't
mean I would want to vote a drug addict into office...just like I'd
hesitate to vote an alcoholic into office...

>This is what the last "y2k" event (The 1929 stockmarket-crash) gave us.

And perhaps it's no coincidence that it happened after a decade of
Prohibition gave the Mafia its foothold into American society and
economy it never had before....

And how many politicos disregarded the Volstead Act, with any number of
high-faluting justifications...but with the end result being that they
ended up in bed with organized crime?

Hey, I think Prohibition was stupid, and my grandfather brewed bathtub
gin...but I always wondered about the local sheriff who was his biggest
customer, how could that sheriff justify breaking a law he was sworn to
uphold, even a law he may personally view as 'wrong'?  Where do we draw
the line?  Who determines what is okay to just wink at, and what should
be enforced with complete vigor?

And THAT, my dear ladies and gentleman, is the crux of the matter...it
doesn't matter WHAT the law is...you can argue drug legalization, you can
argue about excessive prying into people's personal lives...but the
bottom line is that if you ignore these aspects in those seeking
political office, you encourage a society where 'laws' are arbitrarily
decided based on subjective feelings....

Let's throw out rape laws...because if the accused rapist felt like
having sex, then either the victim was too good looking and 'deserved
it', or she was ugly and should be thankful for the attention....but it's
not the rapist's fault....

Throw out all laws against theft and burgulary...after all, if I FEEL I
should have something you own, I should be able to take it....especially
if you have lots of 'stuff', and I have little, then that's not fair, is
it?  My taking your home theater system is just equitable redistribution
of the collective wealth...

Throw out all zoning laws...if I move into your quiet, suburban
residential neighborhood, I should be able to open up a smelting
operation in my backyard BECAUSE I FEEL LIKE DOING IT, zoning laws
prohibiting commercial operations in a residential neighborhood be
damned...

So....where do you draw the line?  What laws are okay for our elected
officials to ignore FOR THEMSELVES (while vigorously enforcing those same
laws agains John and Jane Q. in the name of being 'strong on crime), and
what laws should the personally adhere to?

June ;-)

*=======================================================================*
                          Kite

                So many things you want to see
                And as you ask I'll set you free
                But as you fly
                You'll touch the sky
                And touch the heart
                Within me

                          Fly away.

                    -- Bob Childs
*=======================================================================*
*-----------------------------------------------------------------------*
                        revcoal AT connix DOT com
 It is UNLAWFUL to send unsolicited commercial email to this email
 address per United States Code Title 47 Sec. 227.  I assess a fee of
 $500.00 US currency for reading and deleting such unsolicited commercial
 email.  Sending such email to this address denotes acceptance of these
 terms.  My posting messages to Usenet neither grants consent to receive
 unsolicited commercial email nor is intended to solicit commercial
 email.