-Caveat Lector-

from:
http://www.aci.net/kalliste/
<A HREF="http://www.aci.net/kalliste/">The Home Page of J. Orlin Grabbe</A>
-----
Today's Lesson From The Ayn Rand Cult

by Jeff Walker

Despite [Alan] Greenspan's youthful two-year stint at the Julliard
School for music, followed by a year touring with Harry Jerome's swing
bank playing clarinet, Greenspan would be greeted by Rand with: "How's
the Undertaker? Has he decided that he exists yet?"--the latter dig
referring to his initial philosophical skepticism. This also despite
what Barbara Branden recalls, namely that, "It was incredible how he
always had a beautiful woman at his side. . . . I think it was the
attraction of his intellectual power and probably his reserve." Another
Collective member was less favorably impressed by that reserve: "It's
simply that he is a very cold person. It's very hard to know what's on
his mind. Through those Coke-bottle glasses, you can't even tell he's
awake sometimes." Says friend and NYU professor Robert Kavesh,
"sometimes you just want to say, 'Damn it, Alan, tell me a dirty joke.
Or at least listen to one.'" Decades later, despite having pushed
himself to become a decent tennis player and golfer for political
schmoozing purposes, his nickname in Washington became 'The Creeper.'
Libertarian economist Murray Rothbard, who knew Greenspan in the late
1950s, writes that "Greenspan was supercilious and monotonic; he had the
sense of life of a dead mackerel . . . He's a namedropper."
=====
Digital Society

Ecash Spells Doom for Central Banks?

Gee. Too bad. Eat your heart out.

Leading academics have welcomed comments made by a senior Bank of
England official that Internet-based currencies could drive central
banks to extinction.
Speaking at a banking conference last Friday in Wyoming, the Bank of
England's deputy governor, Mervyn King, admitted that emerging forms of
currency used in Web-based trade could fall beyond the control of the
world's central banks.

Losing control of the money flow will naturally mean the loss of
economic power and could wipe out central banks altogether, according to
King.

Alistair Kelman, visiting fellow at the London School of Economics
(LSE), said: "It's about time central banks realise the implications of
the digital economy."

He added: "I think the central banks will now start imposing controls on
their client banks so that ecash is rolled-out in a secure manner. This
will ensure we don't have companies inventing money that people can
allegedly trust on the Net which could subvert the entire banking
system."

Ian Angell, professor of information systems at LSE, said King's
comments are a refreshing change from the traditional lack of forward
thinking exhibited by "mealy mouthed" Bank of England officials.

Angell claims King's prediction that central banks could become
redundant will come true. "The European Union and national governments
have completely lost the plot, wasting time deliberating over the single
currency when it's electronic cash that is the real issue. What King is
talking about is the inability of the state to control its own destiny,"
he said.

http://www.silicon.com/a32415, September 1, 1999

Barbecued Children

DOJ Tries to Force Judge Out on Waco Case

by Lee Hancock

WACO, Texas -- U.S. Justice Department lawyers on Tuesday challenged a
federal judge's authority to take control over evidence in the Branch
Davidian case, setting up a high-stakes legal showdown.
An Aug. 9 order in which U.S. District Judge Walter Smith demanded
custody of all documents and other evidence is without any legal basis
under federal or civil court rules, Justice Department lawyers argued in
a 19-page motion. The judge's move ``threatens a wholesale intrusion''
into the Executive Branch and an ``unwarranted and substantial burden''
on the entire federal government.

``It should be plain ... that separation of powers prevents a federal
court from acting as an independent investigator,'' the motion said.

The argument is the latest development in an escalating skirmish over
who will control and investigate the vast array of evidence, documents,
photographs and other materials tied to the Branch Davidian standoff.

It came one day after a Waco federal prosecutor warned Attorney General
Janet Reno that lawyers within her department had long withheld evidence
that the FBI fired pyrotechnic tear gas within hours before the compound
burned. For years, government officials had insisted otherwise.

The federal prosecutor, Bill Johnston, told ``The Dallas Morning News''
on Tuesday that he felt compelled to go public with his warning after
being given a 5-year-old document that discusses the use of ``military
gas'' by the FBI on April 19, 1993.

He said he was concerned because the document, a three-page set of notes
detailing an interview with members of the FBI's hostage rescue team,
included handwritten notations suggesting that it be kept from anyone
outside the department's legal staff. He said both the language in those
nondisclosure notations and typewritten identification lines on the top
of each page indicated that they were sent from the department's civil
torts section, which is defending a massive wrongful death lawsuit
arising from the standoff.

``I have evidence that these notes were in the possession of the torts
branch. I know that the lawsuit began to focus on these issues of
whether pyrotechnics were used several years ago, and the plaintiff's
attorneys, who were alleging their use, specifically requested any
documents the government had like this.

``I know that the plaintiffs never got the document once its full
importance was known. And I now wonder whether the attorney general had
knowledge of these,'' he said. ``I'll bet Ms. Reno would have liked to
have known long ago what this document contained.''

Johnston said the document suggested that he was present for the 1993
interview in which agents described using ``military gas rounds.''

Because of that, he said, he believed the document was sent as ``a shot
across the bow, some attempt to warn me,'' because of his involvement in
an inquiry by the Texas Rangers that recently identified conclusive
evidence that the FBI had fired devices capable of sparking a fire on
the day that the compound burned.

The Rangers opened an investigation in June amid mounting questions
about evidence that has been in their custody since the 1993 standoff.
David Koresh and more than 80 followers died in a fire that erupted
after FBI agents tried to force their surrender with tanks and tear gas.

The Rangers were asked to investigate the criminal violations arising
from the standoff and were then asked to keep key evidence from the case
after eight Davidians were convicted on charges ranging from
manslaughter to weapons violations.

The Texas Department of Public Safety filed a motion in July asking
Judge Smith to take custody of that evidence. DPS officials said that
they wanted the evidence taken off their hands, in part, because they
felt that the Justice Department was using them to avoid having to allow
public access under federal public records laws.

DPS commission Chairman James B. Francis Jr. said he also ordered an
investigation to identify exactly what was in the agency's evidence
rooms after learning that an independent researcher had recently been
allowed to examine some of it.

Francis said he was disappointed in the federal government's decision to
try to continue to block public access to the evidence.

``I think it's very unfortunate that the Justice Department would try to
prevent the federal court in Waco from gaining access to all of the
evidence in light of everything that's happened in the last week.''
Francis said. ``From what I can understand of the Justice's Department's
motion today, they're still attempting to prevent the evidence from
being judicially reviewed. And I think that is most unfortunate.''

U.S. Attorney Bill Blagg of San Antonio said that he received the 1993
document on the use of ``military rounds'' last week from the Department
of Justice. He said he received it one day after the Justice Department
was rocked by the revelation that pyrotechnic tear gas had been used on
April 19 by the FBI.

Federal officials had long denied that any such devices were used. But
they conceded last week that at least two pyrotechnic tear gas rounds
had been fired after a former FBI official told ``The Dallas Morning
News'' that their use in Waco was ``common knowledge'' among the
bureau's hostage rescue team.

Blagg said he received the documents the next day and was told that they
had been found in an electronic archive of records subpoenaed by
Congress for the 1995 House Waco inquiry.

He said he forwarded the documents to Johnston ``in a sense of
fairness.''

Blagg said the indication that Johnston was present when an agent
discussed using ``military rounds'' was ``a very serious matter because
federal criminal rules require that prosecutors give defense attorneys
any government evidence that might prove even possibly favor a defendant
before trial.''

``I cannot think of a worse thing to be accused of as a U.S. attorney
than knowing of favorable evidence and failing to disclose it, and I
can't think of a worse thing than the attorney general not knowing for
six years what really happened,'' he said.

Johnston said he didn't dispute the document's contention that he was
present for the interview, but he said he remembered nothing about it.
He added that the phrases used to describe the use of ``military gas
rounds'' would have meant nothing to him because he was unfamiliar with
military ordnance.

Johnston, said, however, that he was prepared to do whatever possible to
help the Justice Department, the Congress and the public learn the
entire truth of what happened.

``I will not be intimidated by Mr. Blagg or anybody else within the
Department of Justice. If there is an issue regarding whether I
should've understood the significance of the term `military gas,' then
it is a fair question. I'm not afraid of that. Whatever the truth is, I
am not afraid of that. That's what we're supposed to do: seek the
truth.''

Reno last week vowed to fully investigate why the government had not
previously disclosed publicly that pyrotechnic tear gas grenades were
fired at the Branch Davidians.

On Tuesday, an FBI spokesman said that Director Louis Freeh would not
object to the appointment of an outside investigator to study the
bureau's role in the Branch Davidian siege.

Tron Brekke, national spokesman for the FBI, said Freeh and the bureau
believe the FBI can conduct its own investigation. But the director is
concerned about the perception that the bureau cannot police itself, he
said.

``We're interested in restoring whatever damage has been done to our
credibility and if that can be done by an outside investigation, then so
be it,'' Brekke said.

Brekke said the director has not recommended to Reno how an outside
panel should be formed or who should be appointed.

Meanwhile, there appears to be some support on Capitol Hill for an
investigation independent of the Justice Department and Congress.

A spokesman for House Judiciary Committee Chairman Henry Hyde, R-Ill.,
said Hyde is considering creating a special commission to review the
FBI's admission that pyrotechnic devices were fired against the Branch
Davidians.

``The truth may be better served by a body that is removed somewhat from
the political swamps,'' said Sam Stratman, a spokesman for Hyde.

The House Government Reform Committee has already subpoenaed records for
its investigation and is expected to begin hearings in September,
committee spokesman Mark Corallo said.

Committee Chairman Dan Burton said he was concerned that officials
within the Justice Department may now be targeting Johnston because of
his efforts to help the Texas Rangers and bring out the truth.

``I think he should be commended,'' Burton said. ``Because he has given
us information ...they're going to try to make him a scapegoat.''

(Staff writer Catalina Camia in Washington contributed to this report)

The Dallas Morning News, September 1, 1999

Federal Reserve

Greenspan Bashing is the New Political Sport

Wonder what they will do when the stock market tanks?

Federal Reserve Board Chairman Alan Greenspan, long a hero to nearly all
national Republicans, is now under assault from several GOP presidential
nomination hopefuls.
"I give Alan Greenspan significant credit for his management of the
Federal Reserve in the last seven years," Gary Bauer said yesterday.

"But his increasing tendency to see inflation, when all that's going up
is stock prices, is wrong-headed. And is going to hurt the economy
--both stock owners and stockyard owners."

Former Vice President Dan Quayle has become another Greenspan basher.

"We have a deflationary economy and Bill Clinton and Alan Greenspan are
going to raise interest rates," Mr. Quayle has said. "The American
people don't need to have interest rates go up. They need to have them
come down."

But the Greenspan critic with the most clout in the business community
and among "supply-side" economic conservatives who were stalwarts of the
"pro-economic growth" years of the Ronald Reagan era is Steve Forbes.

"Interest rates are too high and while Alan Greenspan and the Federal
Reserve raise rates, commodity prices have plummeted," Mr. Forbes,
publisher of a leading business magazine, said in a recent campaign
commercial.

Do the critics believe Mr. Greenspan, whose management of the nation's
money supply has earned him high marks on Wall Street and among many
corporate chieftains, would unnecessarily increase interest rates, and
thereby push the nation's economy into recession?

"Absolutely, we could see the economy going into recession and if
Republicans are praising him, somehow we'll end up looking like we're
responsible for the recession," Mr. Bauer said.

Fortunately for Mr. Greenspan, Texas Gov. George W. Bush, the leader of
the GOP presidential pack, is still firmly behind him.

Mr. Bush said recently Mr. Clinton deserves virtually no praise for the
strong, noninflationary economy of the past few years and pointed out
that the current recovery started a year and a half before Mr. Clinton
took office.

"I can't think of anything he did on his own, or he proposed himself,
that created an environment in which people are willing to risk
capital," Mr. Bush told the National Journal. "I will give him credit
for reappointing Alan Greenspan, who has done a good job."

The Bush campaign's chief economic adviser, former Federal Reserve
Governor Lawrence Lindsey, has argued that Mr. Greenspan should have
raised interests higher and more quickly.

Two other GOP nomination contenders, Elizabeth Dole and Arizona Sen.
John McCain, also support and defend Mr. Greenspan.

But Messrs. Forbes, Quayle and Bauer say the Fed chairman is hurting
farmers and risks throwing the economy into recession. That should be
good politically for Republicans, since a bad economy normally means
voters toss out the party that holds the White House.

A July 15-20 Harris poll found that only 32 percent of 1,000 adults
sampled knew that Mr. Greenspan is the Fed chairman. He is in charge of
pumping enough money into the economy to help keep it growing fast
enough to create jobs but not so fast as to create inflationary
pressures -- a process that for most voters holds about as much interest
as the price of strawberries in China.

Democratic strategist Mark Mellman sees a partisan, self-serving
interest at work among those criticizing Mr. Greenspan.

"They will twist the truth and themselves into pretzels in order to find
a way to discredit Bill Clinton," said Mr. Mellman. "They don't want to
give him credit for the good economy."

The Bush nomination rivals beating up on the Fed chairman are, "by and
large, the people at the low end of the polls and looking for ways to
get attention," Mr. Mellman said. "And they're succeeding. You're
writing about them."

Some Republicans explain that the continuing support of Mr. Greenspan by
Mr. Bush derives from the Texas governor's raising a campaign war chest
mostly from corporate and Wall Street contributors who most admire Mr.
Greenspan's money-management style, especially his concern -- critics
call it a phobia --with heading off inflation.

GOP strategist Grover Norquist said the GOP can claim Republicans had a
hand in the booming economy as well.

"The president can claim credit for the economy doing reasonably well
now," he said. "But Republicans also have been able to say, 'We gave you
spending restraints, capital-gains tax cuts and stability against the
threat of government-run health care.'

"But I think Republicans have convinced themselves and others that they
are a big chunk of why this economy is doing well," Mr. Norquist said.
"Therefore, a faulty economy would hurt [Vice President] Al Gore [the
Democratic nomination front-runner] but also reflect poorly on the
Republican-controlled House and Senate."

Still, as Mr. Mellman noted, there's "no question these kinds of
criticisms play well with the distressed segments of the electorate,
like farmers and dislocated, hard-pressed working people."

The Washington Times, September 1, 1999

Currency Markets

Down Dollar, Down Boy

Price Falls to ¥110; Will Japan Intervene?

The yen reached a seven-month high against the US dollar yesterday after
official suggestions that the Japanese economy was heading for better
than expected growth in coming months.

The Japanese currency broke the ¥110 to the dollar barrier for the first
time in six months and briefly touched ¥109.05 - ¥2 stronger than last
week.

Market analysts said it was automatic sell orders at ¥110.50 that had
driven the yen through the ¥110 level. It was a breach of ¥110 that
appeared to prompt intervention by the Bank of Japan in January to
weaken the currency, since when it has conducted an intermittent market
intervention campaign.

At the same time the euro fell to a new low against the yen, touching
¥114.77, 1 per cent down on the day and 14 per cent below the levels it
started at in January.

The surge in the yen prompted fresh speculation that Japan might be
poised to intervene soon to weaken the currency. Japanese officials have
told their colleagues at a meeting of deputy finance ministers of the
Group of Seven leading industrialised nations that further yen rises
could prove painful for the economy.

But there were no immediate indications from the G7 meeting in Berlin
yesterday that intervention was pending. Haruhiko Kuroda, Japan's
vice-finance minister for international affairs, declined to comment as
he left the meeting, while Caio Koch-Weser, his German counterpart,
would say only that foreign exchange developments were discussed as part
of general talks on the global economy.

Some economists suspect that intervention is unlikely to be successful.
They point out that the yen's rise has been partly driven by growing
hopes that the Japanese economy is improving.

The Ministry of International Trade and Industry, for example, yesterday
announced that industrial production fell 0.6 per cent between June and
July. However, MITI forecast that production would rise by 4.7 per cent
in August and 0.2 per cent in September, suggesting a rise of 4.3 per
cent in the July-September quarter compared with a year before.

This prompted Kaoro Yosano, MITI minister, to declare that last year's
economic decline had now reached bottom. It also boosted optimism among
economists about the broader economic outlook.

James Malcolm, economist at JP Morgan said: "This is pointing to an
extremely strong third quarter for industrialised production . . . we
will probably be revising up our third quarter forecasts from flat
growth."

Until recently, many banks expected growth to slow sharply in the second
and third quarter of this year, following a spurt in the first quarter
due to higher government spending. However, with the second-quarter data
due in 10 days, there are growing hopes that some upturn may have
continued beyond March.

Nevertheless, separate data from the government suggested that these
stronger than expected industrial figures were not yet creating jobs.
The Economic Planning Agency said the unemployment rate remained stuck
at a post-war high of 4.9 per cent for the second month in a row in
July. Also, there were only 46 job offers for every 100 applicants in
that month, the second month of a post-war record low.

The Financial Times, September 1, 1999
-----
Aloha, He'Ping,
Om, Shalom, Salaam.