<< You must have been around a really corrupt bunch.  I spent nine years in
 Turkey.  I enjoyed it thoroughly.  I visited Izmir a number of times, and the
 popular drug of choice in the tea houses seemed to be tea.  I'm sorry you
 were forced to spend so much time in a place you disliked so much.  Prudy  >>

     As a lower enlisted person in the USAF living any where is hard due to
the low wages.  Even worse, I was farmed out to NATO (Not Able To Operate).
I was also there at a time when Turkey was under martial law.  Americans,
maybe American military were not very well liked to say the least.  I paid
five times more than my Turkish neighbors for the same apartment.  Several
fire bombings occurred in apartments occupied by Americans, of course this
was never reported by the press to people in the States, nor were the
ambushes.  We only got heat for about two hours during the day and another
two hours at night and were lucky to get electricity long enough to wash a
load of clothes.  The tea houses on the bay only served tea and a few tasty
snacks, but one block off the bay hash was readily available ... according to
people I worked with, I did not use drugs, but was offered drugs most of the
time I entered one of the '57 Chevy taxicabs.  I heard it is very different
there now, I was there nearly twenty years ago.  At least I got an assignment
to Hawaii when I left there, but two years in Turkey was not worth three
years in Hawaii.

Regards,
Bob Stokes